Will Wright is flocking brilliant.

Gryph

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the pictures are a little reminicent of the DC game 7th Cross Evolution, or something, but this game looks like it kicks the crap out of that one.

I am really looking forward to it, even though I am not a big fan of the Sims

Good idea, but like all good ideas in games, I'll bet it'll turn out mediocre.

Uh huh...so every good idea becomes mediocre? Will Wright is one of the only developers who can take the idea of building a city or a family and making it FUN. Because of his game developing record I can actually look forward to this game being really good.

I should have said a lot. Ah well.

Except that Maxis is part of EA (has been since 1997). But I think EA will give him as much freedom as he needs since he's a huge money machine.

IF you were referring to my comment:

I meant the design idea behind it, rather than the game itself, was what indy developers could rejoice about. The massive wall that indy developers have to get past is volume of content - which is almost always cost prohibitive and is becoming more and more expected by gamers. Wright's idea, which seems to have been borrowed from the "demo" scene he speaks of, is one way indy developers can get past this massive wall.

He is owned by EA, but by promoting this idea, he is undermining the foundation of their success. If this idea were put to good use, it could help indy developers to compete with massive, big-budget conglomerates like EA. Having a huge name like Wright's promote this kind of anti-money idea is probably quite the morale boost for smaller developers.

Edited by Daeval

Except that Maxis is part of EA (has been since 1997). But I think EA will give him as much freedom as he needs since he's a huge money machine.

IF you were referring to my comment:

I meant the design idea behind it, rather than the game itself, was what indy developers could rejoice about. The massive wall that indy developers have to get past is volume of content - which is almost always cost prohibitive and is becoming more and more expected by gamers. Wright's idea, which seems to have been borrowed from the "demo" scene he speaks of, is one way indy developers can get past this massive wall.

He is owned by EA, but by promoting this idea, he is undermining the foundation of their success. If this idea were put to good use, it could help indy developers to compete with massive, big-budget conglomerates like EA. Having a huge name like Wright's promote this kind of anti-money idea is probably quite the morale boost for smaller developers.

Ah yes, the concept. :P

It's unfortunate that publishers now are unwilling to tale the risk and publish original ideas such as this one. Will Wright is one of the the only developers who could be entrusted and be given funding for such a project. Without the big business his ideas would be pretty damn tough to come to fruitation. It's all a vicious cycle of crap but I'm just hoping this will not only provide a boost to small developers to try out new things but to also open publishers' eyes to this kinds of people and try new and fresh ideas.

Ah yes, the concept. :P

It's unfortunate that publishers now are unwilling to tale the risk and publish original ideas such as this one. Will Wright is one of the the only developers who could be entrusted and be given funding for such a project. Without the big business his ideas would be pretty damn tough to come to fruitation.

That's the beauty of this particular design concept though - it solves the largest part of the "funding" problem for people who aren't Will Wright. If an indy developer can dump a large portion of the content creation on to the end users, that could make the game a LOT cheaper to develop. They could use the extra money to persue alternative publishing routes or, if all else fails, they could offer the game to a publisher for a lot less money.