Bios questions

someboddy

What's the bios does?

Can I change my bios? If so, how do I do it?

Is it possible that some bioses support multiregion while others don't?

Think of the BIOS as the XBox operating system. It basically controls what the XBox can and cannot do. When you start an XBox with no mods it boots up the original BIOS that is stored on a chip inside the XBox and all you can really do is play original XBox games, DVDs, and music CDs. When you mod an XBox and load a non-original BIOS you can do all those things plus play burned games, play games off the HDD, load non-official XBox software (like emulators), FTP, etc... The XBox had the hardware to do all that before being modded, but it's the new BIOS that actually allows it to do that.

Yes, in most cases you can change your BIOS. It depends on what sort of mod you are using as to how you go about doing it. I think nearly every BIOS supports multiple regions... I've not used one that didn't.

Edited by Thraxen

I use good old reliable Xecuter 4981. There is a 4983, but you can't edit the BIOS using XBTool so I have stuck with 4981... there is no functional difference between the two anyway.

The BIOS Sammaz refers to has it's own fans, but I've not used it since I have never had a need to use anything other the Xecuter BIOS I'm currently using since it has never failed me. So I can't really comment on it's reliability. But I do know it has a of features that allow you to do things like edit the boot up animation and such. You can read about it here: ind-bios.org

The other main BIOS (not counting the Xecuter 3 BIOS which can only be used with Xecuter 3 chips) is the Evox M8 BIOS.

In my opinion, if you don't want anything fancy, I'd just go with a Xecuter 4981. If you feel like changing up the the opening animation then go with the ind-bios. BUT, make sure you get a copy the the current BETA. The official 5003 version has a power off bug. It is supposed to have a feature where pressing both triggers + back + white will power off the XBox, but it doesn't work correctly and will power off just by pressing back + white. So if you use MAMEoX and are used to hitting back + white to bring up the config menu then you will end up powering off your XBox all the time. This is supposed to be fixed in the current beta.

Oh yeah, how new is your XBox? If you have a version 1.6 then your only option is the M8 since the X2 and iND BIOS' do not support version 1.6 as of this time.

Well, I| am corrently using evox M7, so I guess I will move to M8.

How do I know what the version of my XBOX is?

And how do I change my bios? For some strange reason, I can't FTP to my xbox even when my firewall is off, so I need to know how to do it from a cd.

And final question, is there a chart or something that shows the properties of the different bioses?

to reflash your bios you need to look up how to do it for your mod chip as it's different for most. like my matrix can flash from evolutionx or from a flasher it came with. but my sister's can flash from a cd. look through the tutorials for your chip at xbox-scene.