Intel Has Double Vision:

Today, we’re announcing that we’ve completed our initial production runs of dual-core processors for desktop computers. These first dual-core desktop products are just one of Intel’s 10+ multi-core related projects underway for 2005-2006.

*Intel plans to deliver two separate dual-core products and dual-core enabled chipsets for the Extreme Edition and Pentium processor-class families in the second quarter. Both dual-core processors will also feature the Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology.

*The Extreme Edition processor, based on 90-nm, will be combined with a chipset code-named “Glenwood,” that includes several features that will make this an ideal platform for people who crave computing power for audio, video, digital design and gaming tasks. It also will include HT Technology, featuring four thread or multi-processing capabilities. The additional threading capabilities will provide an additional performance boost.

*Intel will also introduce its mainstream 90-nm based “Smithfield” processor, which will also be introduced in the second quarter, with a new chipset code-named “Lakeport”.

*Previously, we’d only confirmed that we’d introduce a dual-core processor for desktop PCs during 2005, without providing details on what part of the year it’d be available, and had not disclosed that it would support HT Technology and feature four threads.

*We also disclosed to customers that the company’s first 65-nm desktop dual-core chip is healthy & up and running in our factory. We’re not providing further details on this product at this time.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/rel...0050207corp.htm

hmm a 65-nm dual core? ;)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dual core...dual core...

Sure.

/me likes his stuff right now and will worry about it when the time comes.

and fsck intel.

Processors have cores which do the processing. So far we've only had one core per processor (atleast in the consumer processor business), but now they can fit more than one core which allows more stuff to be done at the same time while keeping the size and heat managable. However, in order to take advantage of multicore processors, programs must be written to exploit them which is where the main problem is.

Ahh, I see, seems like more learning for C++ class :'(. O well, anyways, is this were your ram comes from? If we have dual cores according to gryphs definetions , this means we get to have monster consoles and monstor computers in the next generation right?

Ahh, I see, seems like more learning for C++ class :'(. O well, anyways, is this were your ram comes from? If we have dual cores according to gryphs definetions , this means we get to have monster consoles and monstor computers in the next generation right?

What do you mean "is this where your ram comes from?" I don't understand that part.

But yes, next gen consoles and PC are going to be multicore. PS3 is running on CELL which is built from the ground up to be multicore, XBOX2 is also multicore. It's funny how both of them are using Mac (IBM actually) G5 chips (or variations of) as their main processor.

But the main thing is that these processors will be useless if no one takes advantage of them. Programmers are going to have to learn how to use multicore to their advantage to make a difference.

IBM, Sony, and Toshiba are going to release an open source compiler for people to learn how to do that kind of stuff sometime this year.

Cool, this will make the next generation console battles seem more interesting. What I ment by Ram is the RAM of a computer, I got 480 MB of RAM inside mynes, I was asking if this is what produces RAM inside of the computer.

Cool, this will make the next generation console battles seem more interesting. What I ment by Ram is the RAM of a computer, I got 480 MB of RAM inside mynes, I was asking if this is what produces RAM inside of the computer.

...wow. And you want to be an awesome game programmer. How can you not know what RAM is and where it comes from?!!

RAM is on a seperate module. Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM

Dude calm down, only 14, crap, at least I have higher intelegence then this retards in miami. at least im asking questions gryph, instead of just staring at the screen going "huh?". Well, thanks for the info, and now for my ompiniun on the topic.

This is freaking awsome!