Just in case any of you forgot...

Daeval

Dynasty Warriors is teh crap.

It's easily the best mindless 3D beat 'em up ever.

And Koei did an awesome job taking what could have been a bunch of bland ancient chinese generals and giving them tons of character, not to mention making them each look unique and badass. Such as:

dwcombo4vv.jpg

(That's, clockwise from top left: Taishi Ci, Zhou Tai, Lu Meng and Dian Wei)

So if you haven't played it, and you like beating on things until your thumbs bleed, go find part 4 on your local used games rack.

Edited by Daeval

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so exaclty what is it about just going around beating things? or is there more to it.....

It's about the three kingdoms era in china. The period is also the source of a HUGE work of chinese historical fiction, which much of the game is based on. It's thick in story between battles, and there's a hefty encyclopedia in-game if you're into that kind of thing.

To break it down, you have three kingdoms all vying for power in China, with all the alliances, betrayals, intrigues, emotions, and grand-scale ass kicking that accompanies such a situation. The game focuses on the ass-kicking part, but you see the rest in cut scenes or in things that happen during battle. You might have a battle where you're fighting alongside generals from multiple kingdoms against a common foe, or you might convince an enemy general to defect by beating him or his closest friend, etc. All of that reflects events from the books, so far as I know.

You can play as any of I think 50+ generals from any of the three sides and a few that are independent or from other factions (such as the barbarian-like people from the south). The pic in my above post is just four of said generals. Each side has its own version of the story mode, which can be played co-op splitscreen, and the independents have a few of their own as well, I believe. There are a bunch of extra modes too.

Basically, you pick a general and get thrown onto a non-linear battlefield with hundreds of warriors that vary from peons to generals as strong or stronger than yourself. You'll have a goal (usually kill the enemy leader), and will want to fight in a way that will build up your own army's morale so they will fight better. Helping friendly generals in trouble can mean they'll be more likely to help you, and your army as a whole is more lilkely to press the attack if they think they're winning.

You earn items and power ups that level up your character, as well as your body guards. Over time, you gain more life, musou (super energy), strength, defense, a few new attacks, the ability to carry more items, and more and stronger bodyguards. Items do everything from give you more health to allow you to start on a horse (or elephant!). Items earned and bodyguards can be used by any character, but everyone levels up individually. There is a LOT of unlocking to be done.

Edited by Daeval

I've been procrastinating for the longest time about whether or not i should get one of the Dynasty Warriors games. The problem is that there are so friggin' many of them. Dynasty Warriors, Dynasty Tactics, Dynasty Warriors Extreme Legends etc. + all the sequels.

So which one of these is the one you recommend the most?

Edited by Agozer

I've been procrastinating for the longest time about whether or not i should get one of the Dynasty Warriors games. The problem is that there are so friggin' many of them. Dynasty Warriors, Dynasty Tactics, Dynasty Warriors Extreme Legends etc. + all the sequels.

So which one of these is the one you recommend the most?

Hmm.. they're quite different. I recommend starting with Dynasty Warriors 4, especially if you like what you read above, but I'll cover the rest just for fun.

"Dynasty Warriors" (1)

This was actually a 3D fighting game featuring the Three Kingdoms characters. It was on PS1 and I believe in the arcades as well. Reports are that it wasn't very good.

"Dynasty Warriors" (2, 3, & 4)

This is the "main" line (aside from Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but we'll get to that) and is what I've described in my previous posts. These games have gotten progressively better and fuller featured, so I'd recommend Part 4. The core elements haven't changed much, but they've worked out the biggest problems and introduced a TON of new characters and some new mechanics.

"Dynasty Warriors: Extreme Legends"

These are basically add-on packs to whichever Dynasty Warriors they are related to. I haven't played them, but I hear they're only worth the money if you're diehard. There is so much to unlock in Dynasty Warriors that I can't really imagine needing an add on. What's more, I've heard these don't have a lot of content.

"Dynasty Warriors 4: Empires"

I think that's what it's called. This is supposed to tweak the gameplay in DW4 to add more of a strategy element. I haven't heard much about it. I think you need, or at least would be better off having, DW4 before you play this one though.

"Samurai Warriors"

This is basically Dynasty Warriors: Japan. Gameplay is more or less the same, but the japanese characters and setting haven't been nearly as well established, so there's not as much to do. I wouldn't recommend it as a starting place, but it might be a nice detour if you end up liking DW.

"Dynasty Tactics"

These are also set in the Three Kingdoms era, so they share the same characters and situations, but the gameplay is ENTIRELY different. These are tactical strategy games, like chess or something like that. I've heard they're good, but I tried to play the first one and was kind of overwhelmed. Koei is known for complicated strategy games.

"Kessen"

Another strategy title. Some iterations are set in Japan, some are set in Three Kingdoms china. I found this one to be a little boring and dumbed down, but others I know have liked it.

"The Romance of the Three Kingdoms"

So far as I know, this was the title that started it all for Koei's Three Kingdoms franchise. I've never actually played one, but I believe they date to before the Nintendo, and are still being produced. They are complicated turn-based strategy games involving politics as much as combat, and have broken the will of some of my most hardcore strategy gamer friends.

So there you have it. I guess I have to recommend a rental first, as I could see some people getting frustrated or bored with the endless wholesale slaughter, but there's just something old-school about it that I really like. Dynasty Warriors is the kind of game you can always come back to for a little mindless fun.

Kessen and Rottk games are awesomely amazingly great.

Really great.

So great, I have them framed.

Just because I can.

And one of the characters in DW looks like a chick is hot. Yeah, he does. Curse those bishies.