ROM

emsley

Ok so if the word ROM means read only memory...

Why do we ask for ROMS ?

So that would be "do you have any read only memorys"

Were can i find this Read Only memory...

Do you see what im getting at here?

Im looking for metal slug 5 read only memory...

lol mad.

Ok so if the word ROM means read only memory...

Why do we ask for ROMS ?

So that would be "do you have any read only memorys"

Were can i find this Read Only memory...

Do you see what im getting at here?

Im looking for metal slug 5 read only memory...

lol mad.

I think there is some reason...has to do with the data of the game or something....meh...I don't know.

maybe because that´s how they are sotred in arcade machines, using non volatile memory?

anyway, please let me know if you are still looking ofr the read only memory ;)

BTW heh, i figured out that you would look sorta like this, association with baseley maybe? hehehe

ROM refers to the actual chip(s) containing the game data, whether it's inside a cart or on an arcade board. You can't write to these chips, that's why "Read Only Memory".

So if you'd like to reprogram the cart or an arcade board, you'd have to transfer your own code to and EEPROM and the replace the ROM chip(s) with your newly-programmed EEPROMs.

I guess its a ROM when its on the arcade board, since you can only read from those chips. But once its transferred to the computer, its just another file and can be changed (such as changing the region as a simple example). So maybe we should call it a Former Rom-File?

I guess its a ROM when its on the arcade board, since you can only read from those chips.  But once its transferred to the computer, its just another file and can be changed (such as changing the region as a simple example).  So maybe we should call it a Former Rom-File?

The proper term is "ROM image". We shouldn't even call those files ROMs because it's a bastardisation. ;)

Edited by Agozer

calling it rom image will make you look as a rom  nerd boy, sorta linux freak of emulation lol

Linux freak of emulation? What kind of a person is that.

But yeah, I like to keep my terms correct; regardless of a possible emulation nerb branding.

Edited by Agozer

calling it rom image will make you look as a rom  nerd boy, sorta linux freak of emulation lol

Linux freak of emulation? What kind of a person is that.

But yeah, I like to keep my terms correct; regardless of a possible emulation nerb branding.

well i meant the equivalent of a linux freak in emulation