pc wont start need help now

Inky

ok my second pc is flocked up when it boots it wont read the HDD I try to reinstall XP but when the installer gets to where you choose the HDD it says "can't read from drive" or something like that. I can't get to anykind of command prompt to fdisk the thing. other then removing teh HDD from the pc and putting it in another to fdisk it (Which I don't want to do) I am at a loss. does anyone have any idea how I can format the drive from it's fubar state? I was thinking maybe running dos from a cd but I can't find any info on that. I really need to get this one running as it is the one my kids use and they are getting alot of games for christmas, help me!

Are you sure the harddrive is plugged in correctly. Sometimes my harddrive power or IDE cable comes loose.

I would suggest you take that drive and take it to another computer just to see if it can be read.

It's fubar, have a proper burial. Or, test it out a few times but changing the jumpers and formatting it on another PC.

this can be many things and believe it or not, it might be what gryph said, just check the cables, in case this does't help, get a linux live cd as they don't require any install and from there format your HD, if after this your disc is useless, you will have to trigger some bucks

well after most of the day I got things going again. ended up getting a dos program called clean.exe (i think it was distributed by dell as it sayed something about dell tech support.) got into a dos prompt by putting a win 98 disk in then booting with cd-rom support. from there I ran clean.exe from a cd and it wiped my HDD.

from there reinstalled 98se bye bye Xp. so far so good.