Sony IBM Unveil PS3 Engine

To me, if the PS3 can't pull off PS2 emulation, since it is much different architecture than its lil' bro, it will be worthless. It is almost known that XBOX2 will be backwards compatible with the original XBOX.

PS3 has yet to show me what it needs to conquer XBOX2. No PS & PS2 support on the PS3 = its death.

Anon.

That's completely opposite of what I've been reading. As Agozer said, Sony is investing time in making sure it has legacy compatibility. However with Microsoft it would be tough to do it since they are now using ATI graphics and it could violate copyright laws if they tried to emulate Nvidia pathways. It also doesn't have a harddrive.

But I like backwards compatibility, lots of people trade in their old systems when they buy new ones but keep the games.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol is anyone even paying attention to nintendos next console?

Yeah, I am, but it seems big N is being as tight-lipped as usual, so there aren't nearly as many details as there are for the ps3 and xbox2.

To me, if the PS3 can't pull off PS2 emulation, since it is much different architecture than its lil' bro, it will be worthless. It is almost known that XBOX2 will be backwards compatible with the original XBOX.

PS3 has yet to show me what it needs to conquer XBOX2. No PS & PS2 support on the PS3 = its death.

Anon.

That's completely opposite of what I've been reading. As Agozer said, Sony is investing time in making sure it has legacy compatibility. However with Microsoft it would be tough to do it since they are now using ATI graphics and it could violate copyright laws if they tried to emulate Nvidia pathways. It also doesn't have a harddrive.

But I like backwards compatibility, lots of people trade in their old systems when they buy new ones but keep the games.

Really? I have heard that the XBOX, though ATI, will have enough juice in it to emulate XBOX games, and the PS3, while capable, is going to have a tough time rendering its old games with the multiple processers...

Oh, and the XBOX2 will have some sort of HD (it is one of their selling points on the original)

Only time will tell, I guess.

Anon.