XP & 2000 in One

supa_al

I had a question in regards to having both xp and either windows 98 or 2000 installed at once...is it possible.

Why i ask is because of Mugen. If you are using XP and have Mugen, you will understand why i would like to switch.

Mugen is not XP friendly.

Therefore i would like to know if it is possible to have these OS installed, enabling me to either pick xp or 2000/98 when i boot up.

Have any of you guys done this? Would there be a problem in doing this if possible?

I Wouldnt Preferr It Unless You Put 1 OS's Programs On A Separate HDD So There Arent Any Confusion Between The Windows, Trust Me I Had Windows2000+XP+Linux, And That Was NOT Good For My Comp.

Ic, ok that is good to hear, also that i should have them separated. My computer apparently has partitions....let me see

Under hard disk drives i have;

Install(C:), Swap (F:), WinXPPro (G:), Data (H:)

So i guess it would hurt if i install either 98 or 2000 under the Data (H:)?

But they all say under details: Local disk

So are they partitions?

You Need To Know Several Things To Figure It Out.

C:\ ANd G:\ Looks Like They Are In Partitions, I'm Shacky On H:\ Though.

How Many HDD's Do You Have Inside The Tower?

If Its 1 Then They Are All Partitions. 2 C+G Are 1 HDD's And H Is The Other HDD.

Or You Can Use "Partition Magic" To See Which Partitions Are Which, Or Use A Win 95 Or 98 Startup Disk And Use FDisk To Look At The HDD's. So Ya,...

I run 2k, XP and Mandrake Linux. Theres no issue with doing so AT ALL.

There are some things you have to remember though, like the fact the 2k bootloader is NOT compatible with XP. You MUST install Windows 2k BEFORE XP, or you'll render your XP installation useless. (There is a way around this, to fix XP after, but I won't get into it)

My disk(s) setup is as so:

-=Drive 1 - 40GB=-

C: - Windows 2000 Pro = 3035.7MB

D: - Windows XP Pro = 4965.4MB

Linux EXT3 = 8228.6MB

Linux Swap = 768.7MB

E: - Programs = 2996.5MB

F: - Games = 8997.3MB

G: - Holdings = 9177.7MB

-=Drive 2 - 80GB=-

H: - Swap (For Windows XP Swap file) = 1043.3MB

I: - Isos = 15241.3MB

J: - Music = 5898.8MB

K: - Movies = 8016.8MB

L: - Emulation = 46084.9MB

I like my nice clean and organized setup, and I hate the "Program Files" folder! Shame on you Microsoft! I organize my apps/games to entire partitions just for them. :naughty:

"You MUST install Windows 2k BEFORE XP, or you'll render your XP installation useless"

This is interesting. So in order to do this, i must uninstall first XP, then do 2k, then install XP again.....which seems a pain in the butt. Hmm..

Thats a pretty clean setup you got though, but what if i could install another drive, and add 2k to that one, or 98 or something. Would that cause a problem. I would just want to find another way of adding another OS without uninstalling XP.