Microsoft Sued Over Broken Xbox DVD Drive

Gryph

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml...16&section=news[/url'>']LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A video game fan upset over a failed disk drive in his Xbox video game console has sued Microsoft Corp. MSFT.O on behalf of all Xbox owners across the United States..

The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court on Wednesday, seeks to represent anyone who bought an Xbox in the United State since the console's November 2001 launch.

The plaintiff, Sean Burke, said his console stopped reading any and all discs after less than a year of use, whether those discs were games, CDs or DVDs.

"The defective Xboxs stop working after minimal usage, after unreasonably, unconscionably, unusually and unexpectedly short amounts of time," the lawsuit said.

Microsoft had no immediate comment on the suit.

The suit seeks damages, restitution and various other costs and fees.

Source: Reuters via Slashdot

Legitimate suit or money hungry bastard?

I think it's a somewhat legitimate suit because the device should function properly for atleast a year. I don't know about the warranty and other things though.

I would be thinking " how much spare time have i got on my hands this week, um things to do"

1. wash socks.

2. vaccum stairs.

3. Release wild tiger i am bored with.

4. Sue microsoft for a big wad of cash.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing that's covered by a warranty, not a lawsuit. Now, if the guy had found some obvious technical issue that was neglected, then he'd have a case. I'm not a huge x-box/micro$oft fan, but this is kind of ridiculous.

Only in America folks! The land where you can sue anyone for anything.

Give me a flocking break... How long does a warranty last for a Bill-BOX console?

You For Got For ANY Reason Too.

And I FindTHis Pretty Pathedic, But If He Wins Think Of The Moola!

Give me a flocking break... How long does a warranty last for a Bill-BOX console?

I think it's 90 days or whatever you buy at the store. My old work used to offer 1 year question-free replacement for 20 bucks, assuming it didn't look like you used it as a skate ramp or something.

Regardless, a repair job is cheaper than a lawyer, and you can't really blame M$ unless you can prove it's some kind of design flaw or negligence.

maybe he's kinda rich and have nuthin better to do, or he just hate M$ and wanna do something about it

Well if he was rich he shoulda've took it to gamestop for another Xbox in any 'Color' or while he was added he should have gotten it modded or somthing or buy a ps2 instead. well atleast thats what i woulda've done i wouldn't sue them for somthing so late especially a drive failure. and no im not a M$ fan either. but hey we all have our diffrent opionions here.

My opinion: this case is doomed on its own, unless he can get the testimony from dozens - or hundreds - of xbox owners stating that their dvd drive too failed to work after an inordinately long time.

He's also doomed if he's ever modded his xbox or opened it up and removed the sticker (presuming the xbox has a sticker in the same position the ps2 does)

i got my xbox the day it came out. About a year after that it started giving me dirty disk errors. I called ms and they said my warrenty was up but they would fix it for free anyways...... they paid shipping and everything :shootem:. 5 days later i got my xbox back working great....lol i doubt this guy will win. I kinda wonder did anyone sue sony for that? cause ive always heard the ps2 dvd drive is much worse and breaks easyer...