[11/17/03] Neverwinter Nights

Rag

Game: Neverwinter Nights

System: PC

Emulators: Don't need one

This is a game i've recently been working on in my spare time. This game is pretty good, lots of options on how you do things. Its basically a traditional RPG in the sense that you control someone else's life, you role play their life. You start out in the town of Neverwinter, a once great city. Recently, the town has decayed due to an unforseen plague that struck the people. Now you wander around, gathering quests from the leaders of the town to help the people or if you want, to help yourself. What I mean by that is you can be in it for the fame, the fortune, or just because you feel bad for the sickened people. Trust me though, there is more to the plague then meets the eye, its your job to discover the truth behind this mysterious disease.

neverwinter-nights-2.jpg

So your probably asking, just who are "you"? Well thats one thing i honestly love about games is the ability to make your own character. This game is very complicated when it comes to abilities and such. First thing you choose is what gender you would like. After that you choose a race. The races are Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Dwarf, Gnome, and Halfling. Each race has its own benefits as well as its own umm antibenefits?? I can't think of the word. After that you choose a portrait for your character. Then comes the class. The classes are anything from Barbarians to Rogues, Wizards to Fighters. You get to choose what class you want and depending on the class, you have different abilities and powers. After this you get to choose your ability points. By this I mean you get to choose your strength, dexterity, etc. Certain points are vital for certain classes, make sure you choose wisely, or just click the recommended button. Anyways after a whole lot of choosing, you get to customize your character's looks, voice, and name. Then your ready to start this great, long game.

neverwinternights08.jpg

The gameplay itself is pretty good. You have many options in what you do. You may feel like robbing people blind, or you may be a messiah. This is a pretty cool aspect in any game, the aspect of freedom of choice. The only problem with this game is it can be quite repetetive after a while. Another cool feature is the weapons. There is a wide variety of weapons you can choose or make in a forge. Along with the weapons are armor and other misc. items. Once you get used to the game, you will feel more adjusted to it. I don't think there is any way you can explain the whole game and make people feel 100% comfortable about playing it. This game just has too much in it to summarize in a review. So if your a fan of Dungeons and Dragons style RPGs, go ahead and try Neverwinter Nights. With the recent price drop i've seen here in the U.S., it appears to only be $20, well, thats how much I spent on it :D

Speed - 8.5

Gameplay - 10

Graphics - 9

Sound - 10

Overall Score - 9.3

Grade - A

Overall I give this game a :(

never_box.gif

Edited by Rag

It was a fun game, but i grew tired of these rpg games where u watched the guy fight 4 u instead of being interactive (like diablo) and hacking the monster to pieces.

Another reason this particular game failed to reach my eye is that the response was so slow, i kept getting hit by monsters everytime i ran away. Took like 5 seconds :(.

• 8 months later...

Evil bump It uses DND Version 3 System, not the current 3.5.

Edited by K`dash