[12/29/04] Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3

Game: Dragonball Z Budokai 3

System: PS2

Emulator: NONE YET

Yet another Dragonball Z fighter this time it is GOOD (which is a rare occurance, good job atari)

If you dont already know, Dragonball Z is about over-the-top battles where people shoot energy beams out of their hands and transform into monkeys and get yellow hair and scream alot its complicated (LOL) this time the game goes through the beggining to the end of ther series AND to DBGT

(the story isnt the good part of the game infact the story is HORRID)

the gameplay is what makes this a good game this it has fluid gameplay, easy to pickup and learn controls, ENERGY BEAMS, need i say more (no but i will anyway).. even tho it is STILL lacking a duck or jump feature, YOU CAN FLY (if you get knocked into the air, or knock someone else into the air and go over to them to beat the living S**T out of them some more) you can also, teleport, shoot energy beams (i already said this but any decent game where you can shoot energy beams is a good game), transform, and of course punch and kick.

the graphics in this game are pretty good they improve over the cartoon (not saying much) there are cool glowing effects and aura things to look at, the levels arent incredibly good (they dont suck they are just so so) well thats about all i can say for the graphics in this game, they are so-so/slightly above average

there are a few bad points to the game, like the fact that it is a dragonball z, and SOMETIMES i get a bit frustrated with doing stuff i dont want to bymistake because the controls are so simple (not that there is much you dont want to do) but other than those few things there arent many things wrong with this game

and the sound represents the game VERY WELL they have the voice actors from the series (MAKE IT STOP) and the power ups, teleportations, music, and punches sound appropriate for THIS GAME

(ONLY THIS GAME and no others, besides maybe other DBZ games)

so here is the part of the review that counts, the scores

Gameplay: 8.5

Graphics: 7

Controls: 8

Sound: 8

Overall: 8

Grade: A-

This game gets a :angry:

sorry about the crappiness of my reviewing abilities, its my first AND i suck at writing stuff

I haven't actually played this one yet, but I think you forgot character Fusions. One of my favorite part about the series is knocking your opponenet away to perform a Fusion, where another character comes on screen and combines with your own either using the Potara earings, or by the Fusion Dance. This can make your character incredibly powerful (if you do it right), or incredibly humorous (if you screw it up the fusion fails, and the result is fat). They aren't just energy beams either, they're arena leveling napalm blasts. You will be fighting on a mere wasteland after some of them. And the transformations are great, too. First it's a dude with big spikey black hair, then it's a dude with bigger spikey yellow hair. Then his hair gets all long. Then, possibly, he becomes a giant yellow monkey (golden oozaru) and starts leveling the field again. And if the character is really strong, he compacts all that monkey energy back down into his original size and starts kicking more ass. I'm not sure how much of that is actually in the game...but it exists. :o

And the characters are all customizable, in the previous two games it was via capsules. You win capsules by fighting, and they grant your character new moves, or ability bonuses. But you only have 7 slots, and some capsules take up more than one. Some capsules (fusions) take up the entire tray! Man, I love this series. If you aren't a hardcore fighter you've got to pick this one up. (Hardcore fighters will whine that it doesn't have counters and counter counters and mega ultra super air combos and whatnot.)

I give this game (by knowledge of the series) a 4 out of 5.

well personally, i have never failed a fusion in this game so i dont know how that works and i have never faught the arena into a wasteland and what do you mean be napalm blasts?

and how could i forget the customization thats like a whole section of the review

and this game DOES have a counter for almost every move, even "KAMEHAMEHAMEHA!"

and this game DOES  have a counter for almost every move, even "KAMEHAMEHAMEHA!"

I've always been curious about that move? Is it something like a kill-all-right-now move?

It's just a basic energy beam. :devilboy: For waztelande moves, try Trunks' Burning Attack. And if you attempt fusion enough, you'll fail eventually. You'll get distracted by something or other. Always try distracting your opponent when they're doing a fusion.