winkawaks vs nebula

Well i thought id start this topic to find out once and for all which is the emulator of choice. obviously mame is the emulator to rule them all but id thought id limit those exclusive to neo geo and cps1 and cps2 games including the recent relases and hacks. Personally i like winkawaks - im used to its interface, its loader logo is appropriate, its pad detection is great and theres a load of video options. im not really as used to nebula but would happilly make the switch should it be superior. i found in several instances that even when missing a few files it still plays the rom whilst kawaks plain refuses to. any opinions. maybe someone could offer some insight on there technical specs.

cheers

technically Nebula is better for a fact that it emulates neogeo better (it has rasters, Kawaks doesnt). however, if youre tight on processing speed then it may be better for you to stick with Kawaks or FBA (you will need to compile your own FBA though)

personally, i prefer FBA than either of them.

Edited by Xeon

both emulators have their flaws. For ex....nebula has rasters, but the cps2 emulation isn't exactly the best, thats why there's kawaks. But for neogeo, the best is nebula, not kawaks.

Achh..hell..what do I know, ever since I learned how to compile, I've become a regular ol' mamehead. So thats what I use now. You guys oughta use it too :rolleyes:

FBA ruled on its CPS-1/2 emulation, and Neogeo is a real neat progress it has shown. i cant say that its better than MAME (heck i would suggest you to use that if your PC has enough CPU power and shatloads of RAM).

i judge emulators on how they emulate the games it supports BAREBONES, no blitters, closest to real thing resolution, and emulated hardware features. speed isnt a factor on my opinion (MAME is created to be portable and accurate if you didnt know yet). GUI simplicity as well. this is why i consider FBA closer to MAME than Kawaks or Nebula (cause they are using MAME standards, a lot of people dont see that because of its speedy emulation)

dont let that mislead you though, currently FBA has some blitters has well (HQ/LQ2x for example). imho, FBA tries and succeeds to be a fully functional program (theyre not bogging it with useless features). only problem i can see now is that the emu is still in alpha stages (bugs exists), that is to be expected for early versions, and that doesnt stop me from enjoying it.

i dont know if all that makes sense but thats my 10 cents on emulators. just give them all a try and see what may suit you better.

Winkawaks is the way to go for non fighting games, 'cause if you use the keyboard you can't use the half circle back or forward, but is really fast, and nebula is almost as good as kawaks since it allows all kinds of moves with the keyboard, but it is really slow for netplay, and it has bad looks lol, oh and MAME I hate that emulator, look bad, is slow, can't add the newest games, the sound is poor even on 44k is really a retro emulator, can't keep up im telling ya!

Long story short Kawaks is the way to go!! :D