Best way to make XBMC my default dash

Emu Newbie

IIRC some emulators require the roms to be on the root of the disc, not within a folder. Just have a look around X-S first before you start to burn any monster roms collections :banghead:

You should have plenty of room left even on a stock HDD. I've got by with stock HDDs for all my consoles. Even if you pick a handful of your favourite games for each emulator and copy them to their respective folders, it'll save using a DVD most of the time.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Most roms for older machines tend to be small-ish files anyway (there are exceptions as always). A bit of research and reading and you will probably find between your HDD and a DVD of roms you will have all the games you will probably need. Unless you are the kind of person who collects say 4000 roms for a certain emulator when you will probably only play 200 or so. Collecting for collectings sake is well quite literally a waste of space, space is what you will need to be wise with on a stock HDD.

Just to make sure. Can I just burn a DVD as a data disk? Or do I need to make all of my folders/files into an iso and burn them? I was thinking that as long as I burn the files onto a dvd that the x-box can recognize then it should be able to read from them.

I already have a bunch of Neo-Geo roms and N64 roms on my hdd (and those are eating up quite a bit of space). This is why I would prefer to place all of the other roms (i.e. nes, snes, genesis, etc.) on a DVD, just so that I would have the extra space for extra emulators and so on. Thanks.

Ben

some xboxs can read roms as a data disc depending on which type of dvd drive you have.before you burn to a dvd maybe try a cdrw just to make sure.just burn as a data disc at a slow speed and give it a try.

once burned say maybe some genesis roms then just fire up neognesis on your hdd and then look for the drive in the select screen.

it should work fine.

just incase you are wondering the only emus which dosent let you look for roms in the actual emu are sureall64(n64)and mame.

with these emus you have to edit the path file to where you want the emu to look for the roms.

but seeing as you arent using the roms for these emus off a disc then it should be ok.

Just to make sure. Can I just burn a DVD as a data disk? Or do I need to make all of my folders/files into an iso and burn them? I was thinking that as long as I burn the files onto a dvd that the x-box can recognize then it should be able to read from them.

I already have a bunch of Neo-Geo roms and N64 roms on my hdd (and those are eating up quite a bit of space). This is why I would prefer to place all of the other roms (i.e. nes, snes, genesis, etc.) on a DVD, just so that I would have the extra space for extra emulators and so on. Thanks.

Ben

A data disc is a type of iso image. You could produce the image first and then burn it which would be needed if your dvd burner or pc was crap and inaccurate at doing images. No need for an xbox image or any fancy imaging types just a basic rom is what you want for this type of operation. Just open your burning software and set a new project based on a dvd-rom image with normal basic options. I always use verbetamin printable discs they work in Samsung, Phillips and of course the Thompson drives, theyre cheap n work a charm. For best compatability, dvd-r + or - makes no odds besides what others say, buy the fastest burnable discs you can find 16x arent bad, then burn the discs as slow as your writer will allow. This produces high quality images on rated discs which read easier and last longer with surface scratches n stuff.

So iv'e heard anyway !

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update - this is what worked for me

I have a 1.6 xbox and i used 2 programs on my computer to make an iso (I had to make an iso, b/c my snes emulator wouldn't just read from a data disk). I used Qwix101 to make the iso (just put all the rom folders in one folder and select that folder in qwix to make the iso). I then used DVD decrypter to burn the iso onto a dvd - I wrote the disc at a speed of 2x, and I had the verify box checked on the program. I used a sony DVD-r w/ accu-core (not really sure if that matters). Now I have a dvd that doesn't boot to anything when the xbox is turned on. I can access the files from my NES, GENESIS, SNES, and GAMEBOY emulators. I threw some N64 roms on there (to free up some HDD space), but I have yet to figure out how to reconfigure surreal xxx's pathway for rom searching.