An open challenge for coders

Did you know some forums and sites do not alow you talk about NRX simply because it is old and is hacked.If you do you will get banned.

Anyway I have not seen not extra in NRX other than new games supported

Edited by James

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know some forums and sites do not alow you talk about NRX simply because it is old and is hacked.If you do you will get banned.

Anyway I have not seen not extra in NRX other than new games supported

No, I didn't know that. I have no use for such forums that wouldn't let me talk about NeoRAGEx.

Secondly, EGCG NRX isn't just filled with modified code to get new games working, there are other new features and fixes too.

Memory card emulation, Neo-Geo banking methods, some sound core fixes, support for bin files (and the removal of cart dump support, I haven't tested the emu with the bin files myself), general romset loading fixes.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't remember them right now.

every group in humanity has its own code of honor: lawyers, enforcers, soldiers, marketing people, corporates and hell, even thieves has them.

as for the reason of not open-sourcing, there are a lot of factors that gets to it, shallow to deep. one would be because the programming style just plain obfuscated but is actually good after compiling (lack of comments, etc). maybe it contains copyrighted material that the programmer dont want to show to everybody. there are others but well never know, really.

Dooz, try to at least view things from another perspective and you may just understand what the earlier replies are saying all along.

Aw crap, I started this, I'm going to have to jump in.

1) The morality of hacking emulators is attached to our individual notions of respecting an author's rights and/or playing outside the rules. The primary reason not to hack an emulator is out of respect for its author, IMHO. Some people think hacking an emu is A-O-K because, in their minds, they're "improving" upon something already good. Goodness all around, yeehaw. Others (myself included) feel if the author doesn't want it done, and you like the emu enough to use it, then you should also respect the author's wishes - but, like a lot of people, I feel this protection ends when an author declares a project dead or effectively kills it of neglect. People will have an opinion on this based on their ingrained morality, this is such a fundamental topic (respecting someone else's clay while they're still playing with it) that I don't think you can argue anyone into or out of either camp. The ones who are for hacking emus are the ones who "improved" your clay-phoenix in pre-school. The ones who are against are the ones who let you make it yourself, even if they felt the beak was too "globby". Not something you can argue out of a person, really.

2) Where the hell did this debate pop out of again? I wasn't even talking about hacking Nebula, I was talking about brewing up a simple DLL or two for private use, and also requiring they be sent off to El Semi for approval / as an offering. Damn.

Edited by Swithin

i dunno this thread is already too long and i am not willing to read it, anyway elsemi is spanish i dunno, in which language did yuou write to him? Anyway if you want to mail him in spanish i can translate it for you, as lons as you don`t rush me