Google Launches PC Hard-Drive Search Tool

Alpha

By MICHAEL LIEDTKE, AP Business Writer

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - Google Inc. on Thursday became the first tech heavyweight to tackle the daunting task of uncluttering computers, introducing a program that quickly scours hard drives for documents, e-mails, instant messages and past Web searches.

With the free desktop program, Google hopes to build upon the popularity of its Internet-leading search engine and become even more indispensable to the millions of people who entrust the Mountain View-based company to find virtually anything online.

The new product, available at http://desktop.google.com, ups the ante in Google's intensifying battle with software giant Microsoft Corp. and Yahoo Inc. (Nasdaq:YHOO - news), which owns the world's second most popular search engine.

Google's desktop invasion heralds a momentous step into a crucial realm — the challenge of managing the infoglut that has accumulated during the past decade as society becomes more tethered to increasingly powerful computers.

"We think of this (program) as the photographic memory of your computer," said Marissa Mayer, Google's director of consumer Web products. "It's pretty comprehensive. If there's anything you once saw on your computer screen, we think you should be able to find it again quickly."

Although its desktop program can be used exclusively offline to probe hard drives, Google designed it to run in a browser so it will meld with its online search engine. Google.com visitors who have the new program installed on their computer will see a "desktop" tab above the search engine toolbar and all their search results will include a section devoted to the hard drive in addition to the Web........ »» Read the Full Article ««

results.gif

This looks awesome and another great idea by Google. I don't think any search engine will ever be able to beat them in this lifetime unless someone makes something even better than this. :blink:

»» http://desktop.google.com

When I run the install file it takes me to this page: http://desktop.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=10742

APPLICATIONS THAT PARTIALLY CONFLICT WITH DESKTOP SEARCH:

Partial conflicts are usually easy to fix. To solve conflicts with the following programs, first uninstall both Google Desktop Search and the conflicting program. Then install Desktop Search. Then reinstall the other program. NOTE: it's important to install Desktop Search before installing the other program, or the conflict may return. Conflicts that can be fixed this way include:

- webhdll.dll (WebHancer Customer Companion)

- Panda AntiVirus

- new.net or newdotnet (QuickSearch Toolbar and Quick!)

- FilterPak

- Msx2.dll (computercops)

And I'm not about to uninstall Panda and do all that just for this.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

Heh, I love google, they're so kooky. Did anyone else hear about that ad which was {The first 6 consecutive ten-number digits of e}.com or something and it turned out to be a google hiring strategy (they only wanted people smart enough to solve the problem)?

Heh, I love google, they're so kooky. Did anyone else hear about that ad which was {The first 6 consecutive ten-number digits of e}.com or something and it turned out to be a google hiring strategy (they only wanted people smart enough to solve the problem)?

No, I didn't know about this, but I wouldn't expect no less from Google at this point.

Yeah, I saw that on the news, that was a really smart plan! And fresh, too!

No, I didn't know about this, but I wouldn't expect no less from Google at this point.

Hehe, I saw that and tried to solve it. I couldn't... :( But then again I hate math and suck at it.

Hehe, I saw that and tried to solve it. I couldn't... :) But then again I hate math and suck at it.

You do? Well, this is a small world as I do too. :(