Game Prices will rise soon

Gryph

Well, it's finally happened. Next generation games will cost more than they do now. Right now a blockbuster game costs about $50 but the prices will be jacked up to $55-$60. This is being attributed to the increase in game production costs and inflation.

"There's been a lot of hand wringing going on because of what the cost outlook is for game development for the next set of platforms," said John Taylor, an analyst with Arcadia. " I think there's a growing feeling that in order to build and launch a game you're going to have to start at the $20 million mark - $10 million to build the game and $10 to launch it with a big splash. In order to be able to make any money on that kind of investment, you either have to assume some substantial unit numbers, which are hard to do in the first year or two of a platform's existence, or you've got to raise prices."

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/29/commentary...aming/index.htm

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Games have always cost a lot here. The price of a new, mint-condition game is between 64 and 74 €. I buy most of my games used nowadays, unless it's something I've waited for a long time (Like Final Fantasies and Star Ocean 3)

Does it bother anyone else that half of that money is advertising? I haven't thought about it too hard, but some of the best games come from independents or are otherwise poorly marketed (ICO, Nippon Ichi's stuff, Beyond Good and Evil, the VF series stateside, etc). I'm not going to feel like paying twice as much for my unadvertised good game so they can advertise the hell out of their next "big hit" crap title. I realize this is probably basically how it works now, but in the foreshadow a price hike, it's even more irritating.

It reminds me too much of the way the music industry works. When I pay full price to support a smaller band on a major lable, I know full well that half my money is going to be used to shove some crappy pop star down my throat. Then said pop star gets even MORE money, while the band I'm trying to support gets whatever meager royalty the company is shafting them with.

I agree that some of the best games are those that aren't marketed so vigorously.

I mean Disgaea would have probably gone unnoticed here, if it weren't for the announcements over at Playstation Europe and a few magazine reviews.

I don't mind the marketing of big hit titles in the gaming industry, I'sd just like to se more rare games in the PAL region too, since japan and the US get all the good stuff that ultimately never gets ported over here.

Edited by Agozer

This just means I'll buy less games than I already am. Software and music prices are too high already, raise them and you can expect even more piracy.

What I found a bit odd that piracy wasn't even mentioned in that article for raising prices. I'm sure it has some effect and it is worth mentioned...oh well. I don't buy many games either, I usually buy maybe 2 to 3 games a year.

stuff cost too much now a day. this will only make people do "u know what" people in the us re either getting rich or poor. there's no more middle class anymore.