PlayStation 3 to support DTS surround sound

PlayStation 3 will support the DTS Coherent Acoustics surround sound, it seems safe to say, after Digital Theater Systems announced that the format will be a mandatory audio technology for the Blu-ray disc medium, which Sony last week confirmed that it plans to use in PlayStation 3 in a read-only format.

Although DTS is probably lesser known than Dolby's Digital and Pro Logic II solutions, it's nevertheless respected in the DVD sector and a number of PS2 games including Grand Theft Auto: Vice City support it, although Pro Logic II now seems to be more prevalent.

Given the rivalry, Dolby is also more or less certain of supporting the Blu-ray disc format - hopefully giving Sony supporters some much needed Dolby Digital 5.1. Whatever happens, PS3 should be well equipped for surround sound options.

Edited by Xx1LLMAT1CxX

I spent 300 bones plus tax to take advantage of the XBOX Dolby, its pretty awesome. Glad to see PS3 step up their game. btw Did you guys see that article in gameinformer about elder scrolls for xbox 2 and ps3?

btw Did you guys see that article in gameinformer about elder scrolls for xbox 2 and ps3?

I posted a topic about 2 weeks ago with scans from that article. ;) And it's also coming out for PC since it's Elderscrolls, not just consoles. And is it officially announced for the PS3 yet? I know it's definitely coming out for PC and XBOX2 but the PS3 version was unconfirmed at that time. I didn't read the article since only the pictures were scanned.