The Half-Life 2 News and Rumors Thread

Gryph

Heh. Impatient people fall pray to a hacker's scheme.  :lol: I'd say.... serves them right.

Yeah, I don't pity whoever uses those.

Anyway, here are the times when the game will be unlocked depending on your time zone (Find out what timezone you are in here if you don't already know):

Here are the timezones w/ the provided release time

* -12GMT || 8:00PM (Nov 15th)

* -11GMT || 9:00PM (Nov 15th)

* -10GMT || 10:00PM (Nov 15th)

* -9GMT || 11:00PM (Nov 15th)

* -8GMT || 12:00AM (Nov 16th) (VALVe's Time)

* -7GMT || 1:00AM (Nov 16th)

* -6GMT || 2:00AM (Nov 16th)

* -5GMT || 3:00AM (Nov 16th)

* -4GMT || 4:00AM (Nov 16th)

* -3GMT || 5:00AM (Nov 16th)

* -2GMT || 6:00AM (Nov 16th)

* -12GMT || 7:00AM (Nov 16th)

* GMT || 8:00AM (Nov 16th)

* +1GMT || 9:00AM (Nov 16th)

* +2GMT || 10:00AM (Nov 16th)

* +3GMT || 11:00AM (Nov 16th)

* +4GMT || 12:00PM (Nov 16th)

* +5GMT || 1:00PM (Nov 16th)

* +6GMT || 2:00PM (Nov 16th)

* +7GMT || 3:00PM (Nov 16th)

* +8GMT || 4:00PM (Nov 16th)

* +9GMT || 5:00PM (Nov 16th)

* +10GMT || 6:00PM (Nov 16th)

* +11GMT || 7:00PM (Nov 16th)

* +12GMT || 8:00PM (Nov 16th)

Source: http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthr...0994#post950994

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... I'm GMT +2 so... Oh wait, that only for Steam preloaders. Crud.

Oh well, to the store I go.

You do? I it sort of like an activation thing ala Windows XP?

Yeah, it's pretty much just like Windows XP.

I can understand VALVE opting for this after the source code theft.

Are Counterstrike:Source and Day of Defeat:Source new games, or are they just the old games ported to Source with no changes to gameplay?

I don't like the way they're distributing HL2. Steam is a nice idea, but if I'm spending 50 bucks on a game I want a hard copy, damnit. And I'd prefer that hard copy in DVD format, but that means buying an extra twenty-five bucks worth of crap I don't need or want.

Edited by Daeval

Are Counterstrike:Source and Day of Defeat:Source new games, or are they just the old games ported to Source with no changes to gameplay?

I'm pretty sure they're just ports.

I don't like the way they're distributing HL2.  Steam is a nice idea, but if I'm spending 50 bucks on a game I want a hard copy, damnit.  And I'd prefer that hard copy in DVD format, but that means buying an extra twenty-five bucks worth of crap I don't need or want.

The levels are redesigned and upgraded, so are the character and weapons models. The gameplay is still basically the same though since it won't change much anyway.

But you can burn the GCF files on CD or DVD if you want a hardcopy. I was all into wanting a hard copy but I just didn't care anymore. It'll be scratched and unreadable in 5 years when I go back to play it again.

I don't like the way they're distributing HL2.  Steam is a nice idea, but if I'm spending 50 bucks on a game I want a hard copy, damnit.  And I'd prefer that hard copy in DVD format, but that means buying an extra twenty-five bucks worth of crap I don't need or want.

The levels are redesigned and upgraded, so are the character and weapons models. The gameplay is still basically the same though since it won't change much anyway.

But you can burn the GCF files on CD or DVD if you want a hardcopy. I was all into wanting a hard copy but I just didn't care anymore. It'll be scratched and unreadable in 5 years when I go back to play it again.

I can usually keep my media in decent condition for that long. My question is, what happens to all the steam pre-loaders when steam eventually dies? Their purchases just go defunkt with the system? At least I can still play Half-Life 1 off the CD if I find the old patches. I couldn't tell you how to use a.gcf without a Steam account though...

Valve won't let it die without releasing something that lets you play the game. If they don't, they'd be sued to all hell so you can pretty much guarantee that the games won't die when Steam dies.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and all you retail people will also not be able to play if Steam dies since during installation you have to authenticate through Steam.

Edited by GryphonKlaw