What are we REALLY teaching our children

zhugeliang

All good points, but I was thinking more along the lines of them making this crap what they want us to be in order to keep us from bettering ourselves. If a teen is on welfare living on section 8 and has a birthday. Does he spend his money on food for hhis family? Hell no. He spends the whole 100 plus some he borrows from his grandma to buy one pair of shoes that he probably gets jacked for down thel ine by some dude who likes 50 cent. They are picking these people in particular to be in the limelight so that they can guide the youth into oblivion. Musicians and Entertainers play a collosal role in what our youth believe in. It used to be that our heroes were the likes of Malcom X, Martin Luther King Jr and JFK ( who was quite possibly the coolest president ever, with clinton coming in a strong second with the monica thing ) who actually made you want to be a better person. Now all you got is people trying to tell you how cool they are but when you emulate them they tell you you cant, cuz you aint real enuff. Its some kind of evil paradox. Like Gryph said, these days you got single parent households, more then those with both parents and if you put a child who has only a mother or father next to someone to had both you would immediately be able to tell the difference in most cases. The poverty is so bad that even if you have both parents most are financially secure enuff to have a stay at home mom or dad. That means that this kid is basically growing up off of television and what his friends are telling him. Our youth are raising themselves. Its a vicious cycle that will eventually tear us all apart. Look at it like this. The media takes full advantage of the fact that children are having less and less guidance in our modern times. No parents around to show them whats right or whats wrong. So they cram all this junk in there heads about how they should act and such. But none of this crap is the stuff thats gonna help this kid get into college. Kids are getting out of high school and not having a dam idea what they want to be in 5 years. They havent spent a single dime on anything other then drugs or clothes or some other materialistic bullshit that the media sells them so by that time they are basically flocked. And just who gives a crap? Noone, the media already juiced him or her for all they had so it doesnt mattter. Hopefully he get capped up while trying to gangsta. But hopefully by then they would have been trying to pimp and had gotten a girl pregnant and then the cycle starts again. Another poor child in poverty with no guiidance... but when it gets some money we gotta make sure it knows about the latest gunit sneakers. I

mean...... WTF???

I think you're thinking a bit paranoid now. Oh, sure, everything you said happens happens, but I don't think it happens WHY you think it happens. The only reason it is happening is for money; the "media" you speak of doesn't want to trap the whole country into poverty, that is just a byproduct of the consumeristic lifestyle. Think about it - if they turned all the consumers poor, there'd be no-one to buy their crap, would they?

Oh by the way, this is just a friendly suggestion that maybe you should add some paragraph spacings into your longer posts. It's just that a block of text of that size is rather hard to read! :huh:

heh, sorry bout the paragraph thing... yeah, but this isnt what i believe. I was just going off for no reason at all. :)

Edited by zhugeliang

I've always hated those "black" white people. They just look ridiculous...

I saw this kid one day on the street and he seemed like rapping inside his own head while walking (you know, making weird faces, talking to himself and throwing hand signs into the air). Made me want to punch that kid straight in the face and took quite an effort to keep my composure.

I fizeel you yo

delicate subject... as I said decaing of the hole society only 2 things that could save us are a cataclysm or divine intervention bcuz children are weak-minded easily-influenced humans;

Am compare my generation(16 years old) with my bro's (11 years old)

They haven't turned into wannabes yet and I'm seeing to that personally... but their hole attitude and lack of respect for older ppl

makes me ponder alot; someone said that they stop being all rap and stuff when they get a beating; my bro has undergone hell under my fists and still acts like he owns the world; and I'm seeing kids with 1 year younger than him they're even less respectfull than my bro's generation... they talk back, act like they know everything, have autority

inderstanding issues and nothing seems to cure that...

My freedom infringing idea is this; A chip implanted in the brain;

When they say something their not supposed to ZAPP instant pain!!!

Like animal training this is the only way...

I was thinking about this earlier, and I don't know if it's actually relevant at all, but I thought I'd toss it up here and see what you folks have to say...

I've taken a lot of mythology and art history courses, and it seems like, throughout recorded history (through language or art), cultures all over the world have been entertained by stories and characters that embody the virtues of their culture, in one way or another. Tribal stories tell of powerful hunters and other people, mythological or otherwise, who provide for the people in a variety of ways, or punish those who harm the tribe. The heroes, villians, and other characters of Greek mythology act out a wide range of stories which, though some might be questionable by today's standards, reward the virtues and punish the evils of that time and place. Even the modern comic-book superhero, whether it's the all-american Superman of the early 40s or the more lost and underdog "generation-x" hero of the late 80's and early 90's, reflects the values and troubles of the time.

So, if this is the case, where are we now? Who are the heroes that reflect our mainstream virtues? The gun-toting action hero? The gold-clad, drug-abusing, womanizing rapper?

Just a brief brain-dump. Discuss as you like. :rolleyes:

I was thinking about this earlier, and I don't know if it's actually relevant at all, but I thought I'd toss it up here and see what you folks have to say...

I've taken a lot of mythology and art history courses, and it seems like, throughout recorded history (through language or art), cultures all over the world have been entertained by stories and characters that embody the virtues of their culture, in one way or another.  Tribal stories tell of powerful hunters and other people, mythological or otherwise, who provide for the people in a variety of ways, or punish those who harm the tribe.  The heroes, villians, and other characters of Greek mythology act out a wide range of stories which, though some might be questionable by today's standards, reward the virtues and punish the evils of that time and place.  Even the modern comic-book superhero, whether it's the all-american Superman of the early 40s or the more lost and underdog "generation-x" hero of the late 80's and early 90's, reflects the values and troubles of the time.

So, if this is the case, where are we now?  Who are the heroes that reflect our mainstream virtues?  The gun-toting action hero?  The gold-clad, drug-abusing, womanizing rapper?

Just a brief brain-dump.  Discuss as you like.  :rolleyes:

That is so true. And it's scarily true that every generation has had positive containing role models until now. What will the future hold for us? :rolleyes: