Doom III

-VIOLENCE-

I finally got DOOM III and i'm enjoying it so far

I play it with headphones so i can get scared haha.

I play it on 1024 x 768

High Quality. [Pretty laggy when i open doors or walk on Mars when i have to like press a button to get some oxegen and walk to the other side and stuff]

those IMPS got a pretty upgrade from the original DOOM that i played and loved on the PC/PSX same to the flying fat red things with the teeth that shoot fire at you though the mouth.

I was playing with the settings and i selected ULTRA and it was talking about it uses 500 MB of texture memory... errr isn't the latest and greatest video card like only 256 mb?? haha

"don't recommend this setting" it said. yeah, i turned off the shadows so i can MOVE SMOOTHLY in the maps.

I'm still inside the complex trying to reach the master marine guy i'm not in hell yet.

are my old boys in the new doom III? cyberdemon,baron demon, etc

i'm perfectly content with the visuals my system/vid'card is producing but i'd like to see it running on a much better video card. so i can turn on shadows and whatever vertical sync is.

final verdict, DOOM III " :( "

Uhh...there isn't a huge difference between High Quality and Ultra Quality. It's better to play the games with shadows on with High than without shadows on Ultra. Actually, I don't want to sound like an asshole or anything but what you're doing is really dumb. You're trading the true atmosphere of the game for a minimal graphical improvement. Most people can't even tell the difference between High and Ultra. The texture compression for High is really good while Ultra isn't compressed at all, you aren't going to miss anything while playing on Ultra.

so mr. asshole moderator

i should play DOOM with shadows?

i did mention that shadow effect lags me like hell you know *nod*

better keep your shi* in check boy, don't be calling me stupid cause you recently got promoted, assface :(

Edited by -VIOLENCE-

I'm just saying what the guys at id said. They say its better to trade quality for important things like shadows. Have you tried tweaking everything? You can also lower the resolution to 800x600 since the game still look great like that. I never called YOU stupid, but I called what you are doing dumb. Doing that is like watching a horror movie with the lights on, it takes all the fun out of it. Geez...take is easy. :(

I agree with Mr. G here. Hell, Doom III looks stunning in Medium Detail as well.

Never turn on the player shadow. Other shadows are ok, and should be kept on.

My advice to you is to keep all the special effects on and lowering the overall quality, you won't notice a big difference.

And please, keep it civil. That goes for Mr. G too (although I know that you didn't insult on purpose)

Wow, that was harsh. He was just offering friendly advice, even if he did use the word "dumb."

All he's trying to say is that you're missing out without the shadows, which add a lot to the atmosphere of Doom III. You'll probably get more out of the game if you reduce the quality from Ultra to High (or hell, even Medium looks dang good) and turn shadows on. On those settings, you shouldn't get the hideous lag with shadows on, and the change in other graphics is minimal. It's possible that you'll still have problems with shadows, but it's unlikely, and you only specified problems in Ultra mode in your original post. Doing this may also reduce the lag you get "outside."

If you like it the way you're playing, that's cool, he was just making a suggestion that might improve your experience.

Oh yeah, and the Cyberdemon is apparently in it, though I haven't reached him yet. Barons are in it but they look nothing like Barons.

Edited by Daeval