Half-Life 2 Preloading

Gryph

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news

You can preload Half-Life 2 now. What happens when you preload is that you get an encrypted file from Valve with all the textures, sounds, etc. for free and right when the game is released you can pay and have it unlocked to play. You can possibly play it before it even hits the shelves. :banghead:

But I'm not doing this because I want to buy the Collectors Edition. I like to have a hard copy of the game and hopefully the Collectors Edition will be on DVD. But I went to try to preload and it started but the file is about 1.4 gb. flock that. But the servers are hella busy, it took me a few tries to start the preload processes.

Yeah, me too. But just imagine, the servers are already at there full capacity with the preloading, so just think how totally crappy and slow it will be when HL2 is actually released.

But the idea of Steam is pretty good, by pass the publishers so the developers get all the money.

Idunno. It seems to me that ppl are going to try to find a way to unlock it without buying it.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. But the pre-load isn't the entire game I think. I don't think Valve would make a mistake like that especially after the source code theft. But I'm sure the.gcf files will eventually get cracked.

Preload just houses stuff, textures, sounds and models. I've creaked it already, and all I did was open it with GCFScape. I exacted it too!

Preload just houses stuff, textures, sounds and models. I've creaked it already, and all I did was open it with GCFScape. I exacted it too!

By any chance, would you be able to walk us through that (As long as it isn't warez, which I think it isn't)? I can't find anything out on the net.

It's good for mappers, I don't have the site link anymore, and it's legal to the terms where you don't extract everything and create your own warez version and distrubut it over BT.

*Ahem*I mean...I didn't warez Counter-Strike Source *cough cough*