Emulator "Console" idea

ugenn

Just got hit by an idea today that I'd like to share (although I'm damn sure it's not original). I was thinking about making a dedicated emulator "console" that can be plugged into a regular TV by using cheap, old off-the-shelve PC parts. It's sort of like a MAME cabinet but rather than making an entire arcade cabinet, I'm modelling it after a game console instead. Anyway, cut the BS and get to the tech design (much of it is still hazy and WIP, though):

Hardware:

- Baby form factor mobo (If I'm not wrong, these things are quite new? Do these support PIIIs? Someone enlighten,pls).

- PIII 800Mhz CPU or equivalent.

- 256MB SDRAM (maybe more, but I'm trying to keep my costs down)

- 2 USB ports for controllers/joysticks (hopefully integrated as well)

- 2 10-button USB sticks/pads.

- Uses the mobo's integrated sound and gfx hw to keep space down. Most emus - render in software, so cutting edge 3d not required. Probably looking at somewhere - in the neighbourhood of 8mb VRAM.

- 16X CD-ROM drive.

- That's it. Anything I left out?

Notes:

- the main problem I foresee now for hw is getting TV out to work. Is there some kind of VGA -> TV adaptor?

- Cooling might be another sticky issue.

Software:

- Linux kernel 2.6.x

- mod-init-tools.

- hotplug

- glibc (maybe uclibc if possible)

- zlib

- X.org

- libSDL

- XMAME

- busybox

Notes:

- The idea is that the system relies on a bootable, self-contained linux live CD. So, no other disk drives are required other than a CD-ROM. More ram might be needed to compensate for the lack of swap space though. Hopefully, 256MB suffices.

- This system is mainly for CPS1/2 and Neo games, and perhaps a couple of other games from other oddball systems.

- modinittools and hotplug may be unnessary if I compile everthing statically.

- I'm trying to keep the core support system (ie the kernel, c libraries etc) within 8MB (less if possible) since this is going to use ramdisk which is deduced from our main RAM pool. Non-core files (emu,xserver etc) will be taken off the live cd.

- I also need to strip off unwanted junk from the default setups of most of those packages. eg Xorg installs with over 50mb of crap. More on this later.

- Another problem is that I'm lacking a graphical front-end that runs without any extra toolkit dependencies (ie no QT, gtk or other crap, just pure Xlib) that can be gamepad controlled. (remember, this setup has neither mice nor keyboard).

Physical Case:

- Haven't given much thought here. Probably needs to be custom made.

Comments, suggestions and feedback most welcome. Flames, OTOH, can fsck off.

If you're trying to keep space and cost low, you could give a look at via's mini-itx mobo with integrated cpu.

Another thing you could do is boot the machine from a usb flash drive with everything needed on it except games, and use the cd-rom drive as your games directory.

If you're trying to keep space and cost low, you could give a look at via's mini-itx mobo with integrated cpu.

Another thing you could do is boot the machine from a usb flash drive with everything needed on it except games, and use the cd-rom drive as your games directory.

I'll look into it. The USB drive is not necessary though, because

- it adds to the cost

- it uses one more USB port. Most baby form factors have only 2 I believe, so I'll be 1 short for the 2nd controller.

- everything can be housed on the live cd.

I had a similar idea a while back, but I wasn't worried about the cost restraints so much. This was before I quit my full-time job to go back to school, of course. :clapping: In exchange for the extra cost, we get extra functionality. I was shooting for a small system that would be powerful enough to run most everything but recent games, be able to network, and still be portable enough to carry to a friend's house in a backpack. Here's the plan:

VIA Mini-ITX M10000 Nehemiah CPU/Mobo combo

512MB Ram

DC to DC power adapter

Small Hard Drive (About 10GB)

DVD-Rom

4 Port USB HUB

The mobo/cpu selected costs about 150 bucks (http://www.directron.com) and has integrated sound, video, and LAN, as well as onboard TV-Out. Reportedly, the video chipset even has decent decoders on it. A small adapter will split stereo audio to a pair of RCAs. This cable would be wound with the video cable for a simple connector. This setup would work perfectly for your system as well.

I was considering using a gutted NES chassis as a case, and the power and reset buttons could even be rewired for the ITX board. However, size will be an issue. If I do this, the Hard Drive and DVD-Rom will have to be laptop parts, which increases cost and requires a few extra adapters.

Whatever the case, the USB Hub would be gutted and the insides mounted frontside for easy four-player access to those few games that need them. Alternately, two ports could be used for mouse and keyboard. Gravis Gamepad Pro USBs are my controller of choice (comfortable like a dual-shock, but cheap as heck). For mouse and keyboard, a handheld trackball (used to be something called a RocketMouse, but I don't know how good they are) and a roll-up keyboard would be ideal for travel.

Roms could be held on CD/DVD, while OS and Emulators would be on the Hard Disk. The 10GB drive should leave some room for MP3s and programs too. Alternately, just throw in a bigger HD and put everything on disk.

The only problem with all this, so far as I can tell, is cost. At last estimate is was running about 400 bones. This isn't a ton, considering you're getting basically a portable pc, emulator machine, dvd player, etc. But, it's still 400 bucks. :D

- the main problem I foresee now for hw is getting TV out to work. Is there some kind of VGA -> TV adaptor?

- Cooling might be another sticky issue.

First There Are There Is That Cable On Ebay, But It Doesn't Work, I Have One I Tried it On My Comp And My Dad's, Then A Year Later My Mom Buys My Sister A Laptop(She Barely Knows How To use It) And It Supprts Video Out, And The Cord Does Not Work...

And As For Cooling, How About Making It Really Cool By Useing Mineral Water Like In K''s Post :clapping:

I had a similar idea a while back, but I wasn't worried about the cost restraints so much.  This was before I quit my full-time job to go back to school, of course.  :rolleyes:  In exchange for the extra cost, we get extra functionality.  I was shooting for a small system that would be powerful enough to run most everything but recent games, be able to network, and still be portable enough to carry to a friend's house in a backpack.  Here's the plan:

VIA Mini-ITX M10000 Nehemiah CPU/Mobo combo

512MB Ram

DC to DC power adapter

Small Hard Drive (About 10GB)

DVD-Rom

4 Port USB HUB

The mobo/cpu selected costs about 150 bucks (http://www.directron.com) and has integrated sound, video, and LAN, as well as onboard TV-Out.  Reportedly, the video chipset even has decent decoders on it.  A small adapter will split stereo audio to a pair of RCAs.  This cable would be wound with the video cable for a simple connector.  This setup would work perfectly for your system as well.

I was considering using a gutted NES chassis as a case, and the power and reset buttons could even be rewired for the ITX board.  However, size will be an issue.  If I do this, the Hard Drive and DVD-Rom will have to be laptop parts, which increases cost and requires a few extra adapters. 

Whatever the case, the USB Hub would be gutted and the insides mounted frontside for easy four-player access to those few games that need them.  Alternately, two ports could be used for mouse and keyboard.  Gravis Gamepad Pro USBs are my controller of choice (comfortable like a dual-shock, but cheap as heck).  For mouse and keyboard, a handheld trackball (used to be something called a RocketMouse, but I don't know how good they are) and a roll-up keyboard would be ideal for travel.

Roms could be held on CD/DVD, while OS and Emulators would be on the Hard Disk.  The 10GB drive should leave some room for MP3s and programs too.  Alternately, just throw in a bigger HD and put everything on disk.

The only problem with all this, so far as I can tell, is cost.  At last estimate is was running about 400 bones.  This isn't a ton, considering you're getting basically a portable pc, emulator machine, dvd player, etc.  But, it's still 400 bucks.  :D

400, that way out of budget. I'm tryin to keep it below 100 ozzie beans. But the mini-itx looks really sweet. Anyway, how did you get the laptop CD to work with a desktop mobo? Did you have to gut anything?

400, that way out of budget. I'm tryin to keep it below 100 ozzie beans. But the mini-itx looks really sweet. Anyway, how did you get  the laptop CD to work with a desktop mobo? Did you have to gut anything?

I haven't built this beast yet, it was just a plan I'd hatched just before I went bro- I meant went to school. :punk: There are really cheap adapters that make laptop optical and hard drives work with desktop IDE cables. They're all over ebay, or you can get them from more reliable sources for a little more.

The mobo I was looking at is about 150 bucks by itself brand new, and you'd still need RAM. You might be able to get one with a little less power for slightly less. The plus side is that they have basically all the pain-in-the-butt parts built on, and you don't have to worry about cooling.

Edited by Daeval