Converting and Burning AVI

Lately i've been download movies of off SuperNova and they always come in the form of AVI so i was wondering what would be the best program for me to use to convert them to an SVCD file or something like that because i've been using WinAVI but i would like to know if they're are any better programs out there. And secondly when i do convert the file they work perfectly on my computer but then i burn them with Nero and i get weird slowdown in the movies so i was wondering what the best program would be for burning movies. Any help would be much appreciated.

Just Use Nero For The Whole Thing, Encoding, Burning, And Dont Add A Menu For SVCD's.

Edited by 666Ghost

I find TMPGEnc to be the best to do that.

For SVCD conversion and the like, TMPGEnc is your choice. If you need to do different types of video editing that heavily involve codecs, VirtualDub for that.

Lately i've been download movies of off SuperNova and they always come in the form of AVI so i was wondering what would be the best program for me to use to convert them to an SVCD file or something like that because i've been using WinAVI but i would like to know if they're are any better programs out there. And secondly when i do convert the file they work perfectly on my computer but then i burn them with Nero and i get weird slowdown in the movies so i was wondering what the best program would be for burning movies. Any help would be much appreciated.

There is nothing wrong with WinAVI as such, although the new TMPGEnc xpress 3 is a better alternative and much more flexible, although a somewhat slower encoding engine. You can use xpress to output an svcd mpeg to use in VCD Gear to make an svcd, or simply make a DVD compliant mpeg to use with TMPGEnc DVD Author (separate app) to make a DVD (video ts/audio ts), if u have a dvd burner that is.

Realistically there is too much to explain as regards encoding (frame rates, resolution, bitrates etc), so here are the sites i use, and highly recommend -

Afterdawn - extensive list of guides + good forums

Digital digest forums - the 'best' avi/mpeg/svcd/dvd forums

Doom9 - more good guides, but leans toward intermediate/advanced users

Nicky's guides - neat resource for more advanced stuff (audio synching etc)

Videohelp - pretty much an all-in-one site with good forums, product reviews/updates, multiple guides and more

Good luck!

Edit - I have always burned with Nero 6 w/o any probs. Remember, shut down all non-essential apps when burning so as not to disturb the burn process, and try burning at lower speeds if u encounter skipping/stuttering with the discs. Also try to use good quality discs, preferably with a Ritek G04 dye ( for DVD that is ).

Edited by G19