help installing debian and slackware

alexis

hey guys i need some help installing linux systems i intsalled slackaware and everything went ok but when i start the machine linux loads it asks me to login and everything but it doesn´t start in graphical mode and i have no idea on how to get into the graphical mode (kde specially)

regarding debian i choose verything expect the languages pack and when installing i got a message saying there wee some errors copying an archive which is always the same, it says i should try installing again or maybe it is a bug i am using 3.0 r2 so i was wonderingt is the cd screwed or is it just a bug how do i solve itwhat should i install.

i feel kinda lost in the command line how, in general, can i get to the graphical interface, till i get used.

I also installed fedora and the thingie is ok but i always get some kind of error when selecting install everything. but then a common install has many software missing, i couldn´t even watch aa divx movie. some other thing that called my atention is that it doesn´t install my modem, but on one of the cases i chose the full install and it got screwed and when i restarted te os sarted not in graphical mode and some red hat utility detected my modem andconfigured it while it was initializing, you know, when oyu get all those ok messages.

Thanks in advance.

assuming you have x configured correctly, all you have to do is once you login, type "startx"

whichever interface you have chosen as your default you will go to that one. if you are using slackware, ti is problably kde as your default. Never used debian so im not sure which window managers you have installed.

hey guys i need some help installing linux systems i intsalled slackaware and everything went ok but when  i start the machine linux loads it asks me to login and everything but it doesn´t start in graphical mode and i have no idea on how to get into the graphical mode (kde specially)

regarding debian i choose verything expect the languages pack and when installing i got a message saying there wee some errors copying an archive which is always the same, it says i should try installing again or maybe it is a bug i am using 3.0 r2 so i was wonderingt is the cd screwed or is it just a bug how do i solve itwhat should i install.

i feel kinda lost in the command line how, in general, can i get to the graphical interface, till i get used.

I also installed fedora and the thingie is ok but i always get some kind of error when selecting install everything. but then a common install has many software missing, i couldn´t even watch aa divx movie. some other thing that called my atention is that it doesn´t install my modem, but on one of the cases i chose the full install and it got screwed and when i restarted te os sarted not in graphical mode and some red hat utility detected my modem andconfigured it while it was initializing, you know, when oyu get all those ok messages.

Thanks in advance.

Change your default runlevel to 5. Edit the /etc/inittab file. If you want to stick to text mode login, create (or edit, if existing exists) a file called.xinitrc in your home directory. Comment everything (put a "#" before each line), then add the following line: "exec startkde". Run startx to fire up the X-server. It will autoload KDE.

Debian: not sure.

Fedora: Some packages are deliberately left out for legal reasons. At least that's how it was when it was still Redhat. For the modem, you may have to build your own driver if it's a software modem. Post your lspci -v output.

copying errors, bad crc, the archive could not be found check or is corrupt it may be caused by bad media disc and that kinda stuuf.

for example on fedora install, there was an error tryiung to copy gimp x.x.x. system will now boot try installing again

on debian there was a problem copying gnome x.x.x. the file could not be copied this file may be needed by your system to run correctly.

debian there was an error during install the folowing archives oculd not be copied, it can be due to bad media error or a bug sorry debian is not perfect bla bla bla

oh well htis is not exactly what it appears on screen but sort of

btw than k you so much ugenn you have been very helpful :D

copying errors, bad crc, the archive could not be found check or is corrupt it may be caused by bad media disc and that kinda stuuf.

for example on fedora install, there was an error tryiung to copy gimp x.x.x. system will now boot try installing again

on debian there was a problem copying gnome x.x.x. the file could not be copied this file may be needed by your system to run correctly.

debian there was an error during install the folowing archives oculd not be copied, it can be due to bad media error or a bug sorry debian is not perfect bla bla bla

oh well htis is not exactly what it appears on screen but sort of

btw than k you so much ugenn you have been very helpful :D

I'm not too sure about Debian. But it sounds very likely your CD is corrupted (improper burning or whatever reason). For FC, have you tried the installation from the command-line in text mode? ie rpm <package name>.

If you still need help with debian, try signing up with the forums on their site. You might also want to check out www.linuxquestions.org (for all Linux related stuff, not just debian).

well since errors differs form install and install, and the archives that were corrupt on one install were fine the next install i guess the cds are right and the error is due to hardware somehow

i could install slackware but i am having osme problems with my hard config, i need to ocniifuger my asus radeon 9200 se and my ac97 via 82xx chipset soundcard. I am also haivng some probs with paackages, though ii did the complete install, i had problems copying 3 files and don`t remember which of them but when i start the kpackage manager i only hhave one folder called other under the slackware folder and i can`t get to install anything else and i can`t get a complete list of what i have installed.

i could install slackware but i am having osme  problems with my hard config, i need to ocniifuger my asus radeon 9200 se and my ac97 via 82xx chipset soundcard. I am also haivng some probs with paackages, though ii did the complete install, i had problems copying 3 files and don`t remember which of them but when i start the kpackage manager i only hhave one folder called other under the slackware folder and i can`t get to install anything else and i can`t get a complete list of what i have installed.

1. Are you "root" when trying to install stuff? And you need to give more detailed error messages (in particulat the files which are missing) in order to be rendered more assistance.

2. Your sound doesn't work? Or what? As above, give specific error msgs.

Post the output of "lspci -vv" (run as root).

You're probably going to find out sooner or later why Linux users recommend NVIDIA over ATI: ATI's drivers and support suck. There's some open source drivers for the Radeon cards... dunno how good they are.

What you need to do is log in as root, type lspci -vv, and take notes on the hardware listed. Then head over to linuxcompatible.org and see what you can find there.

As far as setting up X11... you probably selected KDE as your default window manager/desktop environment during install, so all you need to do now is configure X to use your keyboard, mouse, video card and monitor correctly. Just type xf86config (9.1) or xorgconfig (10.0) and follow the directions. You'll need information such as monitor frequency timings (these should be easy to find... just google for your monitor model).

Also, it's important that after you get this set up, you make a new user account for yourself. You should only use root priveleges for installing new programs and adjusting ownership/permission of files every now and again. I believe the program you want to use for this is "adduser".

Once you get X configured and your user added, log out and log back in as a non-root user, and then type "startx". You should be in KDE provided X is configured properly.