77.2MB or 36.6MB?

Hmmm....some people like to use MAME and then some like Kawaks.

Never heard of someone liking to use Nebula (except me :P and if I remember correctly, the dumpers of SVC)

Personally, I found using MAME tedious and Kawaks is hard to use since I dun know how to create a Dat file to play new games.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find if that you know how to use Nebula, Kawaks is a snap. They aren't terribly different from each other. I use all emulators since I am too lazy to get them to work on just one. :P

I found that some of the roms I have can be detected by Nebula but not by Kawaks. That's why I dun like Kawaks. Maybe I need to copy all the dat files from Nebula to Kawaks? :P

So, my understanding now is encrypted roms is the next best thing to the real game, but memory intensive?

Nebula does support both encrypted and decrypted, is it?

Doesn't that make Nebula the best emulator?

yes, but thats just because of the encrypted C ROMs. the other parts seems to be loaded either in realtime or just not as intensive.

ill try and illustrate how i see it happens

1.) run the emulator (obviously- but be reminded that this takes a little RAM as well, especially Nebula and Kawaks)

2.) loading the game - by uncompressing it into free physical RAM, if theres not enough RAM, it will be kept loaded but on virtual (HDD) memory, which is plain slower to access. HDD accessing is the reason why the game may stutter for the first moments of the game if you dont have enough RAM.

lets use Matrimelee as an example, decompress your decrypted matrimelee.zip file somewhere on your harddrive and watch how much space it will eat (about 90 MB). that will be how much physical RAM it will require to run the game efficiently, plus a little more that the emulator may use (emu screen display, sound, etc).

decryption process of encrypted C ROMs takes more memory (as it will also be done from RAM) and a little more time.

now that counts to approximately 110 MB of required RAM. remember that your OS also uses 25 to 50% RAM, sort of a bad news if youre on just 128MB RAM or lower. so bottom line, practically, it is wise to use the decrypted versions, but if you want to make it closer to the real thing and you have the hardware (and im sure you have it), encrypted is the way to go.

all of this is the reason why encrypted C ROMs are more intensive. but dont take my word for it, its just how i see things. research if necessary.

as for the best emulator, i just go for what emulator mimics more of the real thing. for example, Kawaks and NRX doesnt emulate the Rasters in Garou (Terry's stage - 3rd round) and the haze in certain backgrounds in Last Blade 2 and Metal Slug 2. NRX shows a blank border on Japan Team of KOF94 on the intro.

these extras and little details arent essential to gameplay at all, but hey you dont completely mimic a thing when youre missing details dont you? thats what emulator does anyway: mimic, simulate, emulate.

now, i rank it like this: 1.) MAME; 2.) Nebula; 3.) FBA; 4.) Kawaks; 5.)NRX

im not good at explaining but i know thats a damn tedious explanation up there :P

Hey, at least you explained all that. I would have stopped roughly half way, but you beat me to it. :P

When accuracy and total (almost) devotion to the particular system is involved, I think MAME is what we are looking for.

Edited by Agozer

well, yeah, but not really. it just shows that 2 heads are better than one. ElSemi tends to find small fixes, which ends up being sent to MAMEdev, which FBA follows (it uses the same 68k CPU core as MAME). thats why i counted Nebula as a second placer.

well, yeah, but not really. it just shows that 2 heads are better than one. ElSemi tends to find small fixes, which ends up being sent to MAMEdev, which FBA follows (it uses the same 68k CPU core as MAME). thats why i counted Nebula as a second placer.

...Showing that emulator devs do work together, rather than competing all the time.

*Thinks about the Snes9x Vs. ZSNES war back in '96... which was all lies.* :P