3 Questions On Kof'97, Kof 2000, And Nrx

Hello all, I've been lurking here for a few days but this is my first post. Great place you got here. So anyway, here goes:

I've searched countless boards and googled to the ends of the earth, but can't seem to find answers to these three questions...

1) In King of Fighters '97, is there not always background music? In NeoRageX.8c, it seems like the music only kicks in at certain times. I've also noticed that although Billy moves his lips at the start of the round, he doesn't actually say anything, but most everyone else does. So, I'm thinking I have a dump with some missing sounds, but this year in the series seems like it takes some weird artistic liscence so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way. It's driving me nuts, any hints? :lol:

2) All versions of KOF 2000 that I've found have corrupted text (at the opening screen, char. select, etc). Is this an encrypted version or am I missing something else?

3) This is the tricky one. If I have a working ROM that is on NeoRage's list, but that doesn't show up there (it shows only on the bottom as unrecognized). Is there a way to modify the ROM itself so that it will show up highlighted on the list? I know you can "trick" the.ini file to do it, but I'd like to do it in the ROM itself if possible. I've heard that this data is stored in the p1 file, but if that's editable at all, I can't figure out how. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1.) KOF97 only has music on certain characters (Athena, etc). this is true to the arcade itself (and yes, ive the played the actual arcade in its glory days). ive ceased using NRX for a while now so i cant confirm about anything else other than the music (and billys mouth is too small of a tidbit to remember).

2.) KOF2000 requires a hacked NRX and (maybe) a 512kb s1 file. while NRX 0.8c is already a hacked NRX, im not sure if it has support for 512kb s1 data. you may note that most s1 files (text data for neogeo games) is 128kb or lower in size. version 0.6b (the last official version) cant work with 512kb s1 files. you may want to check the pages on Agozer's sig for a hacked NRX version as well as the 512kb file needed.

3.) yep. NRX checks through your game's P1 ROM (the Cart ID i think). but to actually edit ROMs may need a little more. sorry, i just dont have a clue on this :lol:

(btw, with the exception of KOF2000, i garnered these infos from NRX 0.6b)

Edited by Xeon

The only way to edit the P1 file is by hexing it. All my games appear on the gamelist (provided that they have entries).

As for the 512k S1, Xeon is right. 0.6b - 0.8c don't recognize it, tht's why you have to use the 128k one which contributes a few corrupt text in the character names in KOF2000 (nothing else is screwy, at least not in my romset).

EGCG supports the 512k S1 however.

Thanks, so far so good.

Just as a note,.8c did recognize and play the 512KB version of 2000 I found, but it had the corrupt text just as if it was the 128KB I was using. EGCG played the same 512KB file perfectly.

I thought up one more question... Is there a way to tell Nrx to load a particular rom with a command line parameter? So far as I can tell, it doesn't accept any at all, but maybe I'm missing something.

Now to see if I remember anything about hex editing from the days before every PC game had a "console" and an editor on the disk. Hehe...

Thanks again!

Thanks, so far so good.

Just as a note,.8c did recognize and play the 512KB version of 2000 I found, but it had the corrupt text just as if it was the 128KB I was using.  EGCG played the same 512KB file perfectly.

Yes I was aware of this but it had slipped my mind....and no, like Mr. G said, NeoRAGEx has no command line.

Edited by Agozer

Just tested it!Here's how it goes!! Kof '97! has background music for some stages and background music for some chars(not all, Athena, Shingo and 2 others)

Some stages have crowds so they don't have bgms but u can hear the crowd rooting(like the music stage stage).Now the crowd only roots when there are chars fighting with no own bgm(i.e Goro, Kensou etc.)

But when a bgm-equipped char enters the stage the respective bgm is played, get it? Some stages have own bgms(like the one with the chinese dragon) but they will start playing the respective bgm when a bgm-equipped char enter, got that?!

Now in my KoF Billy, doesn't say anything, he just moves his mouth but that doesn't look like a speech attempt to me, it looks more like a gesture with the mouth!!!

OMG how sucky Athena's voice is in this KOF! She sounds like she's ready to spit her lungs out!!

My version of KoF (the encrypted 37 mb one) not only has the text all f*ucked up but also the screen is covered in a green layer of crap!!! I usually disable the front layer from the shot factory to see the screen but then I don't see any writting at all except for Fight and K.O!! I also don't know how to fix this bcuz I've dl'ed it from 3 different sites and it the same crap all over again!

Edited by axl

will it fix my rom?

Completely, apart from messed up character names in the character selection screen, and the small team member names during gameplay.

Edited by Agozer