Need To Get Rid Of Spyware

Alright, believe it or not, I've never really had this problem before. I always play safe; I don't download any software, freeware, and whatnot before doing a background check to make sure there are no hidden spyware included with them. The only peer to peer sharing program I use is K-lite and the original BitTorrent, and I know those don't have spyware and never had problems with them.

Anyhow, just last night, as I had visited animelyrics.com after someone mentioned it in a forum thread. Apparently that site is ridden with spyware traps, cuz I clicked on a link to a lyric for one of the songs, and... popups suddenly start appearing everywhere. Also some crap was starting to download itself onto my desktop so I immediately disconnected my net connection (I'm on dialup). Also my default homepage was set to some ad network site and so I had to change it back.

Well, after that ordeal, I rebooted my computer and got back on the net to make sure everything was running fine. And everything was fine, till today, just an hour ago when I was browsing the usual sites I visit, and I'd notice that my pages were loading alot slower than usual. What is more shocking was that, I'd click on some thread in a forum, and instead of the proper page loading up, I'd be directed to some FUKKING BS ad page!!!

So...I know many of you here are very experienced with computers and all, so how do you guys deal with this? How do you get rid of this crap? (I'm sure some of you may find this very funny, but if anyone else cares, would you give me some pointers/advice here?)

P.S. After visiting that site (animelyrics.com) I did some google search with the name of that site and the words "spyware" and found that they've had a history of similar incidents reported by the very forum members of that site! But apperently, the administrater there does not give a crap and it seems all this spyware is being spread through their various ad-servers or whatever. Do not go to that site, and it's amazing that they actually have members that post there!!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll see what I can do tomorrow after summer class. :/ I just hope these things are n00b friendly cuz I don't wanna fukk things up even more.

Edit: Ok, I guess this thread would be more appropriate in the PC tech. help forum -- just noticed that, sorry. But I think more people would see it in this forum...so, well, it's up to the higher powers here before they decide to move it. Yeah...

Edited by Captain FuKu

If you use I.E. and feel all strange using some like Firefox, just get something called Smart Explorer. Looks, and acts like I.E. but it's not totally fail safe.

Edited by K`dash

If you use I.E. and feel all strange using some like Firefox, just get something called Smart Explorer. Looks, and acts like I.E. but it's not totally fail safe.

I use MYIE2 instead of Smart Explorer but both are good. Firefox is great once you get all the plugins and you'll forget about using IE. Except when pages are designed specifically for IE then you'll have to use it.

And people say Firefox 0.9 is great.

I use MYIE2 instead of Smart Explorer but both are good. Firefox is great once you get all the plugins and you'll forget about using IE. Except when pages are designed specifically for IE then you'll have to use it.

ooh, an update? cool

ooh, an update? cool

Here, read this. It's a look at Firefox 0.9.