Help With Partitions =(

alexis

i really screwed more than i thought, i converted my c: partiton form ntfs to fat32 anyway, now i got the giles from c: in f:, i formatted the new c: and apparently deleted some partition magic pr bootmagic files, i only could install linux, not even xp owuld install, it seems that f: is primay and is hidden and i guess the rest of them are logical, well it says f: is hidden dunno about the other ones except that it wouldn`t lewt me install anything. Help please B)

no, have you tried a win98 start-up disk with fdisk on it (stiffy)

i have tried everything i knew including that, i don´t know how i did it but i messed everything up, i will post the message i get when i try to start xp

Are you intending to wipe everything and reinstall? If so, get this boot floppy:

http://www.toms.net/rb/

- follow the installation instructions from the site to transfer the disk image on a floppy disk.

- reboot with that boot floppy, and follow the boot prompts (should be safe to use all the default values)

- login as "root" (default password is "xxxx")

- low-level format the disk (this may take some time)

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda (assuming your hard disk is IDE)

- type "fdisk /dev/hda". the fdisk interface is quite self-explanory. if you can work the DOS version, this one shouldnt be much of a problem.

- create the necessary partitions. make sure you have at least one partition reserved for swap space (allocate 2 x sizeof total RAM for this). if you intend to copy files back and forth linux and windows and you're going to use NTFS for your windows partition, make sure you create another partition which you will need to format as FAT32 as NTFS write support isn't very reliable in Linux.

as far as partitioning goes, you're done. you can simply power off to reboot.

if you're going to put windows on that box, you will have to install it first before linux because windows will overwrite the MBR during the installation.

hmph a low level partition will delete all my partitions too? so i can start from zero again?

i guess that would be ok, i have a partition where ther eis supposed to be my pc restore files including my windows xp home, which i guess is a pre install. I can´t use it anyway but i guess i will back it up anyway. Speaking about that i also wonder if there is a way to get an xo cd, i mean i have the license, maybe i could make myself with a copy and pay less or sth.

Edited by alexis

hmph a low level partition will delete all my partitions too? so i can start from zero again?

i guess that would be ok, i have a partition where ther eis supposed to be my pc restore files including my windows xp home, which i guess is a pre install. I can´t use it anyway but i guess i will back it up anyway. Speaking about that i also wonder if there is a way to get an xo cd, i mean i have the license, maybe i could make myself with a copy and pay less or sth.

strictly speaking, it's not a "low-lev" format but zeroing out every sector on the disk (only HDD for ancient XT PCs need to be low-level formatted. All IDE/SCSI disk used today can handle their manage their own disk geometry). But basically, the answer is yes, you can start off a clean state by zeroing the disk.

I assume you're referring to an "XP" cd. Well, search the usual warez sites, torrents if you need it. I can't really help you with that.

mmmm...i heard that there are certain risks involved with using low-level format on the newer hdds

Edited by Permethium