Soft For Linux

alexis

I recently screwed so much with partitions that the only thing i could install on my pc was an old copy of linux i had

i am planning to get back back to windows and se both sometime

for no i just wanna take advantage of this situatiion and learn more aboout linux

can soomeone point me some cd burning, mp3 encoding, media playing, partition managing soft.

i am using manrake linux 7.1, will also update it to a new version of linuxin the future but for now i wanna get used using some old copy just in order to don´t get everything the easy way and lear a thing or two

If you just want to experiment, get a livecd. No installation or messy partitioning needed. One of the most full-featured livecds is knoppix (www.knoppix.org).

If you want to install and it's convenitnet, get a more recent distro. Linux distros improve significantly with each release.

For the other stuff you're looking for, they're likely to be on the distro's CD:

media playing = mplayer / xine

media encoding = mencoder (likely to be the same package as mplayer)

cd burning (command-line) = cdrecord

cd burning (gui) = k3b / x-roast

partitioning = parted, e2fsprogs, ntfsprogs (all command-line tools, I don't know of any gui ones).

Have fun.

Edited by ugenn

i didn`t post it directly here because i am not asking for technical help just knowing which software people recommend me for using with linux and i am not having any technical problems with linux, perhaps i should have given this thread the stupid what`s you fav linux soft :P

• 2 weeks later...

since you've got Mandrake 7, I recommend getting a new set of isos to install, namely slackware.

ftp://inferno.bioinformatics.vt.edu is a good server with custom isos of slackware's -current branch. I really recommend slack for learning stuff. You'll be able to find pre-packaged binaries for some of the above-mentioned software at slackcare.com and linuxpackages.net.

As for playing MP3s... just start XMMS. that's really all there is to that, it's 98% identical to WinAMP 2.x.

As for burning CDs, there's 2 programs of note, K3b and xcdroast. K3b is easy enough to use, it's almost identical to several windows-based programs. The only problem I had was that I ruined a few discs writing in DAO mode instead of RAW (and I can't think of why DAO wouldn't work... odd.)

for partitioning, all you need is cfdisk. it's not a graphical program, but it'll get the job done.

for videos, you can use xine (don't really need a manual for it, it's almost a PowerDVD ripoff, save for the fact that YOU CAN'T PLAY DVDs WITH IT. frickin' geniuses on the xine project, I tell you.) for playing DVDs and just about everything under the sun, there's mplayer ( think they're on 1.0pre4 now). using mplayer is a bit of a pain, but it can do some cool stuff, like running the output of your favorite video through the aalib filter.

BitTorrent has it's roots in Linux, but you'll probably need a TON of libraries for it to work. For starters, unlike being an executable binary as it was in Windows, it's a python program (complete with.py extension). You'll definately need the wxWindows and wxWidgets (hell, just get every lib with wx in the front, save some trouble.)

If you want to get on the SLSK network, there;s two options. Nicotine, and one other which is currently under developement. Nicotine is python-based, and requires something called pyGTK (basically, GTK bindings for python programs). You can find slack packages of pyGTK easily, and nicotine installs pretty painlessly.

If you ever get a program that has a funny-looking way of installing, make sure to read the maybe-included README and INSTALL files.

and don't forget to frequent your distro of choice's channel on irc.freenode.net (you can use xchat for this. if I see a Linux user IRCing with mIRC under WINE I'll freakin' kill him).