Just Dunno

I recently bought some pc components (and was i friggin excited or what) and assembled it @ home (Aopen nforce2gt Athlonxp 2600+ 2x256mb DDR400 (Dual mode) GeForceFX5200 128mb)

but something seems horribly wrong to me because i keep reading in the gaming mags about benchmarks on lesser machines that score close to 9000 3Dmarks (3dmark 2001)

mine just scores about 3700 (1024x768 32bit no AA no anisotropic filtering)

mind boggling.

what do you think? i tried everything that i know. :P

Make sure you have the absolute latest drivers for everything. Make sure you have enabled AGP 4x or 8x (however fast that card goes).

That score is ridiculously low...

Also get SiSoft's Sandra. It's a great program that tells you everything about your computer.

Try getting other benchmark programs too and see how those work.

Also, play a very 3D intensive game like UT2004.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

I've never payed much attention to benchmarking tests but if slower systems get almost three times wht you got, there's definitely something wrong with the configuration.

using forceware 56 and directx9 at the mo. :P damn!! i should have gone for the gigabyte motherboard(nforce2 ultra) a friend of mine said it could be that my graphics card is 64bit only and that is still using sd ram. maybe that could cause a slowdown of some sort.

but at the moment my machine is underperforming bigtime!!

the problem is that if i take it to the local pc dealer/shop, will they be able to sort out my problem? (most of them just build office stations and such they won't have the first clue about 3d performance and so forth)

B)

SD ram is slow(proven by hardocp ^^), and your 64mb video card is slowly getting outdated (I said slowly, you can still play games, just not at a good calibure) Also office stations arent supposed to be made for gaming :/ (unless like you got a Rage or a Cinaview and a fsck load of ram and a good cpu like a dual p4 system). Use Omega's Nvidia drivers too, they rule over nvidia's.

Edit: Or just reformat =/

Edit yet again: SD ram is much slower then SD DDR ram, and which make is your AXP 2600+ Tbird or Duron?

I'm on a roll here: It also could be that your AGP bus is running at 4X. Change the setting in your bios at boot up by pressing F1 or F1 or Delete and change it. Also change the setting in Windows also by setting your Card's bus rate to 8X.

4th Edit HOLY CRAP!: Use Forceware 53 pr 54, those are much better IMO.

Edited by K`dash

using forceware 56 and directx9 at the mo.  <_<  damn!! i should have gone for the gigabyte motherboard(nforce2 ultra) a friend of mine said it could be that my graphics card is 64bit only and that is still using sd ram. maybe that could cause a slowdown of some sort.

but at the moment my machine is underperforming bigtime!!

the problem is that if i take it to the local pc dealer/shop, will they be able to sort out my problem? (most of them just build office stations and such they won't have the first clue about 3d performance and so forth)

:(

Hmm...I don't know if that RAM would make THAT big of a difference but it is entirely possible.

If I were you I would go to Icrontic or Anandtech and ask them. They have lots of experts in this field.

my processor is a athlonfx(barton)

where can i download those drivers that you speak of?

when i go into advanced propertys of the display settings (winxp) it brings up that nvidia

info panel: it says my card/agp bus is set at 8x.

Ok, since your driver is set to 8X, it could be the drivers them selves.

Heres the link to OMEGA drivers. Much better then nVidia's (I use them on my second system and there much better overall)

WOW.those omega drivers really made a helluva difference already!! :P

(from 3700 3dmarks to 5500 - thx K'Dash ;) ) not a big improvement for some,

but it means that i can play all of the current games on 1024 x 768 32bit ,without any noticeable slowdown :)

but i still feel that it was a waste for me to spend all of my doe on a new system just to get a 25% performance increase :(

• 2 weeks later...

by Joe!! i got it to work!!! (it was the "vsinc on" setting that caused the major slowdown....turned it off and now my 3dmark score is 7500 ,but with minor screen tearing :lol: ) just glad i'm getting the performance i wanted now :lol: