Good Mp3 Players

I have an MP3 enabled CD player. I got mine for 49.99 USD when I was in the states last year. And it recently died on me (as in batteries still work, but the player it self only plays for 45 minutes, which is utter crap and now a waste of money. An mp3 player would be a good investment to me because it also doubles as a portable hard drive.

Hands down, the iPod is the best due to the ease of use for it. You don't have to fuddle with a lot of software and converting stuff like the other MP3 players. (you can check out forums of people frustrated with getting songs onto other brands' players on the web) iPod's own interface is better than the rest as well.

I recall hearing something of an open-source firmware for Archos Jukebox players. Something to look into if you're an OSS kinda person.

I'm going to once again discourage the purchase of an iPod, primarily because I am vehemently disgusted with people who recommend a product based on how "stylish" it's appearance is. That, and good luck getting more than 6 hours of playback out of the thing using files of reasonable quality.

My Rio Karma plays MP3s, FLACs, OGGs, AIFFs, WAVs (why you'd put WAVs and AIFFs on an MP3 player is something I don't understand. still, the support that is there is good). It's small, fits in one hand, has an incredibly nice display. It sorts files not based on directory heirarchies, but instead by using a database of ID3 tag info. Is this good? Indeed it is! You can select Play Music and then Artist (for a list of artists, and then a list of the selected artists albums) or select Album or Genre or Year. Best of all is the Rio DJ. It'll generate playlists for you based on least-listened to, most-listened to, recently-added, etc.

Did I mention the 5-band graphical Equalizer with several presets, and room for 3 customized settings?

I've handled an iPod before, and it can't touch these features. Big wheel? no thanks, I'll use the clitoral control mechanism on my Karma.

And now, a poem...

I don't like your iPod, Steve Jobs.

Nor do I like you and your trendy snobs.

I would not take your iPods by the box.

I'd rather smash them, with some rocks.

I would not take your iPod along for a jog

For I require a player that supports OGG.

I would not take them with matching earbuds

A short battery life makes them worthless duds.

I would not listen to your iPod here or there

I will not listen your iPod anywhere.

I won't take your iPod-mini as gift for another

Especially with those homoerotic pastel colors.

I loathe your iPod, Steve Jobs;

It, you, and your legion of snobs.

Well of course I want something that supports OGG. But

1) Don't want to order from the U.S. because conversions rates + shipping & handling would kill me right away.

2) Compatablity - My computer is 3 years old and doesn't support USB 2.0. Only 1.1 and Firewire.

3) It's on sale :)

There still to much in england if you ask me, the one i was looking at would have cost me 140 pound, thats 254.051 USD.

And that is for only 1.5 gig.

What qaulity are the earphones??? they looked bad!!!!!!

So i left it.

Maybe sony will cook up something affordable soon.

1) Don't want to order from the U.S. because conversions rates + shipping & handling would kill me right away.

2) Compatablity - My computer is 3 years old and doesn't support USB 2.0. Only 1.1 and Firewire.

3) It's on sale :D

I do recall some people comment on the riovolution forums about how they're ticked that there are difficulties getting a Karma in the UK.

As for the USB 1.1 issue though, relax... this MP3 player has an ethernet port in the dock, and a "Lite" version of the music-managing software written in Java to make use of it. That's right, this MP3 player has no problem at all being used by someone who runs Linux. Someone like me. :P Compatability is not an issue at all.

Another cool thing about the dock is the RCA audio outputs, so you can get some really nice sound by hooking it up to your home stereo (or if you're an engineering person, your car stereo. I'm ordering a second dock just for this, one of these days.)

As for the sale thing... perhaps you could find one on eBay, or perhaps someone at riovolution could sell you a second-hand Karma?

Where in Canada do you live? Because if you live close enough, you could always pull a road trip down to the US and buy one? Just a suggestion...

Where in Canada do you live? Because if you live close enough, you could always pull a road trip down to the US and buy one? Just a suggestion...

a 6 hour trip to the boarder would do. But, I have no ride =/

Edited by K`dash