Romsite....why?!

I can remember when it cost nothing to use Blah.

In fact, does anyone remember PE2000? That was the best ROMs site EVER.

Yes, it was. Especially for Amiga adf files, in my case. Then one day it just switched off. Bleh.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

Eh.

And lolz is down again.

Off to Blah Sr. i go...

Man...just go to blah jr....a very good and reliable Rom download site...although you DO have to register to get more of the High-End roms (Saturn and stuff...) but everything else is free...there's a 120MB per day download limit to those who aren't registered...i guess thats for keeping the servers under control, which is a great thing...if you're lookin' for CPS-2 and Neo Geo roms...definitely go there, but beware...those 2 links tend to shut down a lot (popularity i guess...)

:lol:

Eh.

And lolz is down again.

Off to Blah Sr. i go...

Man...just go to blah jr....a very good and reliable Rom download site...although you DO have to register to get more of the High-End roms (Saturn and stuff...) but everything else is free...there's a 120MB per day download limit to those who aren't registered...i guess thats for keeping the servers under control, which is a great thing...if you're lookin' for CPS-2 and Neo Geo roms...definitely go there, but beware...those 2 links tend to shut down a lot (popularity i guess...)

blah jr. and Blah are practically the same sites since they are both tightly affiliated as I remember. I guess blah jr. is better though.

But I thought signing up to be a 'premium member' or whatever it is at RomShare cost about $30 a month? Not that I'm defending that site, I think it's rediculous what he's doing, but I just thought the costs of getting a pay account at romshare were about the same.

I have been a member at blah for years. All i can say is Paul is a great guy. I'm Not Best friends or anything so do look to far into it. They add new content. You can D/L almost all the old stuff just by registering. The new stuff like Sega CD and Sega Saturn and any new content requires a $30. I know some of the admins there and (as far as I know) the money goes right back into the servers and Website itself. Now everyone including me can say it should cost this much and this much but unless your the one running the site I don't think it's fair to start jumping on the bashing wagon. (Sorry hope no ones to Pissed)

:):blink:

What he's doing is highly illegal. He's making a crap load of profit off of stuff that people with a minimum amount of initiative can find for free. There are still plenty of free rom sites and then there's DC++, FTPs, and P2P.

He's doing something very wrong and 30 bucks a month is steep as hell!

You do realize that emulation on its own is illegal?

And no, it is not $30 a month, it is a one time thing for all of the ROMS/ISOS.

Blah jr. and blah are practically the same sites since they are both tightly affiliated as I remember. I guess blah jr. is better though.

Aside from the random server problems...

edit....

Also, for those "purists" that don't pay for downloading roms: be glad you have that option. Yes there is DC (But you have to share a few GB to get on the good servers), and newsgroups (that will have crappy retention and speed unless you pay *gasp*) and free sites like ******** (That get bogged down because just about everyone goes there). Its just been recently that more and more people have been paying for games, since Edge happens to be rather stable and is constantly getting more games (Thanks mainly to sherl0k and the crew).

As said before, the $30 is a one time donation, not monthly as assumed by some people. Along with unlimited access to the roms (especially the large CD variety) that features no pop-ups as well. Thats almost worth it.

If Paul went at it by trying to make everything free, his alternative would be to use banners and pop-ups for revenue, and possibly beg for donations. Seeing most of the attitude here... "I ain't paying for games", he wouldn't get a dime from donations. So that leaves only popups and banners. Try to pay for said servers at $499 a month with that! Not even concievable. Think, people!

Yeah, Pauls making a nice profit, but his alternative is to go broke trying to give everyone free stuff.

Edited by Agozer

What he's doing is highly illegal. He's making a crap load of profit off of stuff that people with a minimum amount of initiative can find for free. There are still plenty of free rom sites and then there's DC++, FTPs, and P2P.

It's a $30 minimum for full rom access.

I don't know where I typed that, it's quite possible I did, but it was a typo. I do know that it's a one time donation. Not all of emulation is illegal, infact about 60-70% of emulation is legal. The 30-40% is for the newer games being emulated, still supported by the authors. Selling roms is HIGHLY illegal, you could go to prison for that since your selling copyrighted material. Ever see a guy getting handcuffs on his hands off the streets for selling copies of video's? Don't you remember when Microsoft sued that one group who were copying their Windows Releases and selling it off the streets?

Now those are pretty different topics in itself, but it whole revolves under one point. Selling (access for) copyrighted material is far worse then giving it out publicaly for free. There is a reason why there is copyright in the first place. Using the term "Donation" is just a way of hiding yourself. People aren't that stupid. If you host that many servers in so many parts of the world... "Blah has servers across North America, including California, Canada, Texas, Illinois, Florida, and Washington, D.C." - Blah... then you surely can afford paying for Blah

Sellings roms brings emulation down. As Jiggs said, we should have stuff like Mame_Freak's Lazarus Project ( http://greenguild.net ), the person sends in the dvd's or cd'rs for the media and they'll freely copy the full mame roms set for you and send it via mail to anywhere in the world. All you have to do is pay for shipping. Or they can pay for the media (cd'rs and dvd'rs) and they'll send you the mame set copied on it. There are many ways to give roms to people, I am having a hard time sucking in all these excuses since after having this site for almost 3 years, I am pretty sure I know the tricks of the trade (I still can very well be proved wrong, not trying to act cocky). The thing is, if this becomes too popular, expect The ESA (formally the IDSA) or even another new group to go on another rampage of shutting down sites which I already know they have contacted Blah before (also probabaly before they had this $30 thing going). It makes the emulation scene look like a warehouse of copyright games to sell, which is horrible.

I have a feeling both of you guys are from Blah, like I said, I have nothing against you guys and you can do what you want.

You do realize that emulation is not illegal but having roms for games you don't own is illegal. And selling it is even more illegal.

And I accidently typed $30 bucks a month.

Why do Ihave the feeling that some of these gyus came over from Blah and registered for the sake of just taking part in this "conversation"?