Hot Question 4

...This one goes to the Shoot 'em Up genre...(Gradius, Ikaruga, Einhander and the such...)

...Do you think that Shoot 'em ups are a dying breed? What could keep them alive, if that is the case? What did you always like about them?

You should space out your questions more...like one a week perhaps so it takes more time. In this lull in emulation, we need as much conversation to pass the time as possible. :D

But unfortunately I think they are a dying breed. What's the lastest game like that? The lastest one I can think of is Ikaruga. But I still see Raiden II machines in arcades even though no one plays them. Perhaps in the US they are dead unless developers can make them look ultra badass to attract the attention of these new gamers.

I've always loved these kinds of games because they were easy to understand yet very hard to play. I enjoyed the speed, the creativity of the weapons, and ofcourse getting that high score.

In the market right now, developers are making more and more complex games because of the new hardware available which allows them create more in depth gameplay, but many seem to be abandoning the old school just pure fun and mayhem type of games.

And lets face it, these games are really much more fun at the arcade where people can gather around you and see how cool you are. And since arcades have been dying out, no one wants to play these kinds of games alone at home.

You should space out your questions more...like one a week perhaps so it takes more time. In this lull in emulation, we need as much conversation to pass the time as possible. :D

But unfortunately I think they are a dying breed. What's the lastest game like that? The lastest one I can think of is Ikaruga. But I still see Raiden II machines in arcades even though no one plays them. Perhaps in the US they are dead unless developers can make them look ultra badass to attract the attention of these new gamers.

I've always loved these kinds of games because they were easy to understand yet very hard to play. I enjoyed the speed, the creativity of the weapons, and ofcourse getting that high score.

In the market right now, developers are making more and more complex games because of the new hardware available which allows them create more in depth gameplay, but many seem to be abandoning the old school just pure fun and mayhem type of games.

And lets face it, these games are really much more fun at the arcade where people can gather around you and see how cool you are. And since arcades have been dying out, no one wants to play these kinds of games alone at home.

...Yeah...I never really saw people play shoot 'em ups in the arcades...last one I did see was some chick playing Mars Matrix on a Naomi Cabinet back in houston...

...Dreamcast in Japan is still getting games...I remember a new shoot 'em up on it called "Border Down"...look it up, and check it out...

...Maybe this can be attributed to the death of the arcade...such a shame...

...as for your reccomendation..I'll probably do only s couple a week or something...but its not like people can't go back and forth with whats already here, right?

Unfortunatly...yes, my beloved genre is dying...

I'LL MISS YOU FOREVER! :D

On a lighter note, Gradius V is due out later this year! It was already delayed once though...I hope it still gets finished.

Yeah they're pretty much almost dead. The one thing I like about those games are the multiple powerups you could get like in Raiden II, that game was classic. Also the humongous bosses that you needed to kill in every level. I still play those games in the arcades (or on my comp) even though no one goes near them. Favorite one on the console is Einhander. I wouldn't really buy the new ones because they're basically the same thing with better graphics.

Yeah, I think they're dying. I never really liked top-down shooters that much though, I'd much prefer something like Metal Slug - can that be considered a shooter?

Yeah, I think they're dying. I never really liked top-down shooters that much though, I'd much prefer something like Metal Slug - can that be considered a shooter?

Metal Slug should be classified as action/platform game.

You guys don't mean FPSs, right? You mean like, what, Virtua Cop?

Of course they don't mean FPS. Those games will be here to stay, probably till the end of time.

They mean those old skool shootemups, where you have a ship (or similar) and fly across the screen, mowing down droves of enemies who are to stupid to try and dodge them. Oh the memories...