Bill Gates: " Hotmail Was An April Fools Joke "

Alpha

Just a day after Google's announcement that it was planning a free Internet email system caused many Internet users to wonder if it was part of an April Fool's Day joke, Bill Gates revealed that Microsoft had also played a joke on Internet users. The frustrated Gates said in a press conference today that he was disappointed that no one, including Microsoft users, seems to have gotten the joke. "Years ago," confessed the 48 year-old trickster, "I began what I considered to be the greatest practical joke of my life, and no one got it."

"First I purchased a great product, then I immediately turned it to crap."

"DOS?" a reporter asked.

"No," replied Gates.

"Halo?" asked another.

"Alright, alright. Stop guessing," pleaded Gates, presumably concerned that the reporters would name every product Microsoft ever acquired. "It was Hotmail."

Gates says he figured at some point someone would catch on that what he was doing to an award-winning service was a joke. When they didn't he continued the joke by making Hotmail more and more impractical. Even going as far as to charge people for normal operation of the once free program had no one chuckling.

"And just how much spam do I have to pour into your inboxes before you get it?" asked Gates, rhetorically.

Asked if Microsoft had any future pranks planned Gates said they didn't and, "In fact, at the moment we are spending more time trying to convince the public that Windows ME never existed."

Find the Article @ This Link

I found this article quite amusing since I hate HotMail!

They delete all your emails after 2 weeks of inactivity. :-D

Whoa...this is definitely odd. Is this a joke?

If it truly is, it would be the joke of the millenium....and just because people didn't get it, as Mr. Gates stated.

Edited by Agozer

Well Hotmail is a major load of crap...it must have been one of those late night drunken ideas.

Steve Ballmer: Heeyy...heey Bill, we should make *cough* a web mail service!

Bill Gates: Heeey! We could make it suck real bad! *barf* Spam mail and all!

Steve Ballmer: And and, we can give them crap storage space! HAHAHA! I'm so wasted!

Bill Gates: And we can turn their accounts off after two weeks of nothing *hurl*!

Steve Ballmer: And we could make it really easy to hack! Where's the bathroom, I'm gonna puke!!

That must have been how it started...

Edited by GryphonKlaw

they wont, because there are people stupid enough to pay for the extra storage

I like Yahoo mail the best as a free service provider, but i use hotmail because the messanger integrated into XP lets me check it with convienience

(PS, notice mine is at MSN.com and i dont have MSN internet :lol: if anyone wants on of these for some reason let me know)

Just a day after Google's announcement that it was planning a free Internet email system caused many Internet users to wonder if it was part of an April Fool's Day joke, Bill Gates revealed that Microsoft had also played a joke on Internet users. The frustrated Gates said in a press conference today that he was disappointed that no one, including Microsoft users, seems to have gotten the joke. "Years ago," confessed the 48 year-old trickster, "I began what I considered to be the greatest practical joke of my life, and no one got it."

"First I purchased a great product, then I immediately turned it to crap."

"DOS?" a reporter asked.

"No," replied Gates.

"Halo?" asked another.

"Alright, alright. Stop guessing," pleaded Gates, presumably concerned that the reporters would name every product Microsoft ever acquired. "It was Hotmail."

Gates says he figured at some point someone would catch on that what he was doing to an award-winning service was a joke. When they didn't he continued the joke by making Hotmail more and more impractical. Even going as far as to charge people for normal operation of the once free program had no one chuckling.

"And just how much spam do I have to pour into your inboxes before you get it?" asked Gates, rhetorically.

Asked if Microsoft had any future pranks planned Gates said they didn't and, "In fact, at the moment we are spending more time trying to convince the public that Windows ME never existed."

Find the Article @ This Link

I found this article quite amusing since I hate HotMail!

They delete all your emails after 2 weeks of inactivity. :lol:

2 weeks? I thought it was a month.

But I hate hotmail too, it can be so inconsistent, and the 2 meg limit is crappity.

Edited by Basara