The Oscars Discussion

Gryph

COSTUME DESIGN

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

Ngila Dickson and Richard Taylor

should have been LAST SAMURAI.

I think it would be a lot tougher to make original costumes than just going through a history book and making stuff like that. Sure the costumes were good in The Last Samurai, but they were more impressive and tougher to do for LOTR. And a lot more costumes had to be made for LOTR.

Money is there so basically its left to imagination. With that in mind, its easier to make stuff up than to replicate the past as there are many many out there with a critical eye.

If its new, then who is going to say its wrong?

Hell in the next 5 minutes i can make up costumes out of my head.

My point is theres less to worry about when you have the freedom of creativity since there is no point of reference thus criticism for your work.

Also, the NUMBER of costumes made has nothing to do with the quality of the costumes made.

Money is there so basically its left to imagination. With that in mind, its easier to make stuff up than to replicate the past as there are many many out there with a critical eye.

If its new, then who is going to say its wrong?

Hell in the next 5 minutes i can make up costumes out of my head.

My point is theres less to worry about when you have the freedom of creativity since there is no point of reference thus criticism for your work.

Also, the NUMBER of costumes made has nothing to do with the quality of the costumes made.

Yeah, but the creations that the LOTR team made made the movie feel more alive and realistic. It's harder to make a fantasy movie look realistic and lifelike than a something that already happened. And the costumes were more "faaabulous" for LOTR. That's why Chicago and Moulin Rouge won the past two years. All the academy members are gay :lol: And one of the reasons why Gladiator won in 2000 was because of the way the looked, and the sheer amount they had to make, like 10,000 of them.

Don't get me wrong, the costumes were great in The Last Samurai, but they were no watch for LOTR.

I mean, if the LOTR costume team gave the orcs party hats and tutus, then it wouldn't feel like middle earth. It'd feel like a tranvestites birthday party.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

i'd just like to register my disgust with the fact that lotr won 11 oscars and LiT only gets best screenplay. none of the three lotr films were better than lost in translation. period. i dont care what you think. the academy voters must have been stoners, because it seems that they were merely attracted to shiny production and special effects.

Heh heh. People will be biased. :lol:

I'm just disappointed Johnny Depp didn't get best actor. He really outdid himself in Pirates of the Caribbean imo. And they give it to Sean Penn... albeit though he IS a great actor, but c'mon! 'Too much society for one night' or some crap he spewed when he spoke to the press.

Oh well... the Academy seems to be biased towards dramas for 'best male/female actor'. :lol:

Oh n Will Ferrel n Jack Black's segment... CLASSIC!! M'F***ING CLASSIC!!! :lol:

Heh heh.  People will be biased. :lol:

I'm just disappointed Johnny Depp didn't get best actor.  He really outdid himself in Pirates of the Caribbean imo.  And they give it  to Sean Penn... albeit though he IS a great actor, but c'mon!  'Too much society for one night' or some crap he spewed when he spoke to the press.

Oh well... the Academy seems to be biased towards dramas for 'best male/female actor'. :lol:

Oh n Will Ferrel n Jack Black's segment... CLASSIC!!  M'F***ING CLASSIC!!! :lol:

Johnny Depp outdid himself but he didn't outdo Sean Penn. It's not that dramas are favored, it's just that dramas are the most Oscar worthy.

But they say that doing comedy is harder than doing drama so I don't know about that. Comedy is all about timing and chemistry, but drama is about the ability to craft a whole new persona to make the audience believe in.

And did you really expect LOTR to not win Best Picture this year? It was predicted after last years Oscars that The Return of the King would nab that prize to sum up the accomplishment of the entire trilogy.

My favorite movie this year that was nominated for an Oscar was Lost in Translation. but you can't brush away the fact that the LOTR movies are quite a huge accomplishment in storytelling and fantasy. The sheer magnitude of ROTK was enough to wash away the other contestants. I knew that Seabiscuit and Master and Commander had no chance in hell. Mystic River, maybe... It was really a match between Lost in Translation and LOTR:ROTK.

But that was only Sofia Coppola's second movie, and I'm pretty sure she'll be nominated again and possibly even win. Not ever her father's influence could get a her a win...:lol: The Coppola's have directing in their genes. It's a pity that Sophia and Spike Jonze divorced, otherwise their children would have like superpower directing and storytelling skills. :lol:

Edited by GryphonKlaw