Playing with the dos version in 2024... !!!

Tux

On 1/13/2024 at 4:11 AM, Tux said:

I had a look at this PCem, it indeed looks interesting, but where is the documentation ? Since there is no interface, how do you want to use this without any documentation ?!!! Even in the forum there is no basic documentation, no default configuration file, nothing, it's quite extreme ! I found the github repository containing all the bioses but they are useless without a minimum set of documentation...

If you have a link on how to start using this thing, I am interested... !

Glad you figured it out, unfortunately I didn't have the time to test it myself. PCem seems to have been abandoned, which is a pity, but there are forks of it that are still active, such as 86Box.

I actually wrote a guide on PCem back in the day. You can read it here.

4 minutes ago, Neville said:

Glad you figured it out, unfortunately I didn't have the time to test it myself. PCem seems to have been abandoned, which is a pity, but there are forks of it that are still active, such as 86Box.

I actually wrote a guide on PCem back in the day. You can read it here.

Well for emulating raine in dos I wouldn't need anything more, everything works perfectly, sound rdtsc, even some vesa modes using univbe, eventually some svga chip supporting more vesa modes but even with the few I had it was enough to test. And even with the windows version I used, which works perfectly in wine.

it was abandoned, but then taken again by someone else, I don't remember the details, but yeah there seems to be quite some chaos in the x86 emulation world currently (even dosemu & dosbox seem to have a hard time creating their next stable release).

Anyway thanks for the info, it was useful and allowed me to fix a few bugs related to the sh2 emulation, even if there are still some problems with this dos version, it's better, and a working version in 2024 is already quite a feat ! :)