Jump to content

Raine 0.94.6


Tux
 Share

Recommended Posts

 - Finished galaga, savegames are more reliable and added a cheat to select the starting stage
 - revamped the "most played games" in the game selection dialog, now you can choose between "most played" and "most recent", which opens a new dialog with all the games you played. The list of "most recent games" is initialized the 1st time from the dates of the game files in savedata, if you kept them.
 - 5 new kof hacks found by ffman1985. These are quite good hacks, it's for kof super fans only of course, and most of them can't be found in the internet archive (but kof2000ps2 can !).
 - a few fixes for the console
 - mer-curious changed a few texts around the interface, and I updated the translations so they continue to work anyway.

Hey, it's been quite a long time since I had 2 people contribute to a version, thanks guys !
Find it there : http://raine.1emulation.com/download/latest.html

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Tux! Thanks for this new release!

So, I've checked the new "Recent games" feature and it seems to be working good, except that the default time which comes for the played games is a little random, as you see here:

RTquM97.png

I didn't play these games in that time passed, so I don't know why it's showing that.

Also, every time I visit and leave the list it updates the time, which I think distracts me a little there. Perhaps it would be better to just show the date in which the game was last played, instead of the immediate time? It probably doesn't make much of a difference if a game was played "yesterday morning" or "afternoon", so maybe just showing the date would let the list more static for a moment.

It could be something like this: "game name 10/14/2022" (using the standard English date notation). And if you thought it was doable, the date notation could adapt to the applied translations. For romance languages, the format would be 14/10/2022. And for Asian translations such as Japanese, it would become 2022/10/14.

Anyway, if it's too complicated I would also be happy with just the game names there (in the order they were last played, I mean).

Except that, I've noticed there are still some few text messages which I missed in my revision. So I should be requesting you to review those later in GitHub.

Finally, I came to remember about that small graphical glitch in KOF94 which I have already reported in the old forum. I think you said back then it was related to the raster effects. Now that you have added some K.O.F. hacks, I was wondering if you were in the mood to check it again. I've made a short video showing the bug, here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xi1mHtqkQKDQTNRKdwB8KHb3p_ugXlLD/view

As you see, when the camera goes through the ground in the stage animation effect it will break and become black in the end, which doesn't occur in FBNeo, for example. It's surely a very minor issue, but maybe it's what's left to fix in the KOF games emulation in Raine.

Thank you so much again for your work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, mer-curious said:

Hello Tux! Thanks for this new release!

So, I've checked the new "Recent games" feature and it seems to be working good, except that the default time which comes for the played games is a little random, as you see here:

RTquM97.png

I didn't play these games in that time passed, so I don't know why it's showing that.

Also, every time I visit and leave the list it updates the time, which I think distracts me a little there. Perhaps it would be better to just show the date in which the game was last played, instead of the immediate time? It probably doesn't make much of a difference if a game was played "yesterday morning" or "afternoon", so maybe just showing the date would let the list more static for a moment.

It could be something like this: "game name 10/14/2022" (using the standard English date notation). And if you thought it was doable, the date notation could adapt to the applied translations. For romance languages, the format would be 14/10/2022. And for Asian translations such as Japanese, it would become 2022/10/14.

Anyway, if it's too complicated I would also be happy with just the game names there (in the order they were last played, I mean).

Except that, I've noticed there are still some few text messages which I missed in my revision. So I should be requesting you to review those later in GitHub.

Finally, I came to remember about that small graphical glitch in KOF94 which I have already reported in the old forum. I think you said back then it was related to the raster effects. Now that you have added some K.O.F. hacks, I was wondering if you were in the mood to check it again. I've made a short video showing the bug, here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xi1mHtqkQKDQTNRKdwB8KHb3p_ugXlLD/view

As you see, when the camera goes through the ground in the stage animation effect it will break and become black in the end, which doesn't occur in FBNeo, for example. It's surely a very minor issue, but maybe it's what's left to fix in the KOF games emulation in Raine.

Thank you so much again for your work.

Well you must have some data files from these games in savedata, and they were accessed all at the same time, which is quite surprising indeed !

I didn't check that in windows, but I assumed it worked the same, I'll go checking it to be sure.

Why have a static display ? It wouldn't change anything to the sorting, it's still the date the thing was played which is stored, it just displays the time difference between now and this recorded time.

Before you report it : there is a bug with cheats in 0.94.6, because I added something to the console to have comments starting by ; or # anywhere in the line, except that mame enclosed a lot of # between " in its cheats, so these are strings and should be ignored. I didn't think about that. Because of that, a lot of cheats just disappear, like all P2 cheats for kof99. It's fixed in git.

After checking : it seems windows is totally crap to handle the access time, so the best solution is simply not to initialize at all the recent games in windows, and just ignore their crazyness. This code will be removed in next version, sorry for inconvenience, I should have tested that, but I don't like very much testing in windows... !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To make a precision : it's not exactly windows itself, it's the fact that these access times are updated too easily :

 - you make a copy/archive of the whole raine directory -> all the files inside savedata will have their access time set to current time
 - even worse : there is a symlink emulation in mingw64 by default, you want to make a symlink of savedata to a distant location : here again it's treated as a copy, so all the files inside will have their access time set to current time.

I don't make often copies so I thought I would have at least some reliable data here, but no, this access time is changed too easily without noticing.
So yeah the best is probably to just disable that for now, you'll start from an empty list, it avoids unnecessary questions.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alocacoc said:

Thank you for your continuous effort, its highly appreciated. Compiling nicely under Arch like usual.

:-)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/15/2022 at 4:42 AM, Tux said:

I don't make often copies so I thought I would have at least some reliable data here, but no, this access time is changed too easily without noticing.
So yeah the best is probably to just disable that for now, you'll start from an empty list, it avoids unnecessary questions.

Hello Tux! Thank you for taking the time to clarify this issue.

So if I understood it correctly, next version we won't have any information on the recently opened games, not even the date of when it was last opened as I suggested? We will have in the list just the game name, right? If this is right I'm OK with that too, because to me the most important is to just keep track of the opened games in the order they were recently opened.

Except that, I reviewed some more texts in the GUI and created just one pull request with all the changes. I also re-positioned the "Game command list" option to a place which I think makes more sense to have it in the GUI, which is close to the other game options. I hope I haven't broken anything in the code by doing that. Please check it and see if you agree with the changes.

Finally, I found that the mouse does not work in the Action Replay cheats option. I can't use the mouse to select the cheats nor can I right-click the menu to return to the main GUI options. I found this bug while reviewing the texts in this menu. I used the game Art of Fighting to do that.

That's it for now. Thank you for your time once again.

PS: perhaps you may have missed my comment on the KOF94 graphical glitch which I reported in my previous post?

Edited by mer-curious
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, mer-curious said:

Hello Tux! Thank you for taking the time to clarify this issue.

So if I understood it correctly, next version we won't have any information on the recently opened games, not even the date of when it was last opened as I suggested? We will have in the list just the game name, right? If this is right I'm OK with that too, because to me the most important is to just keep track of the opened games in the order they were recently opened.

No you didn't understand, it was about all the same dates which showed up for you, and a little less for me but here too. This is obviously a bug because these files were accessed by something else than raine, here windows probably while copying things. So it won't try to guess the last usage date of a game from the access time in savedata for windows from now on, but if you initialized it already, it will stay, this stat is saved in the stats file in savedata, remove the file if you want to restart from scratch.

54 minutes ago, mer-curious said:

Except that, I reviewed some more texts in the GUI and created just one pull request with all the changes. I also re-positioned the "Game command list" option to a place which I think makes more sense to have it in the GUI, which is close to the other game options. I hope I haven't broken anything in the code by doing that. Please check it and see if you agree with the changes.

Yeah just seen that, it's merged.

54 minutes ago, mer-curious said:

Finally, I found that the mouse does not work in the Action Replay cheats option. I can't use the mouse to select the cheats nor can I right-click the menu to return to the main GUI options. I found this bug while reviewing the texts in this menu. I used the game Art of Fighting to do that.

Which shows that you probably didn't use the cheats a lot until now, and that I actually always used the keyboard !

Nice find, no idea why the mouse doesn't work, it's right that this dialog is quite special, probably something it doesn't like there, I'll have a look later...

edit : it's fixed in git, the stupidest bug ever, a 1 line fix, it's there since march 30th, 2021 ! (it was added because if there is a comment for a cheat which is too long to fit on the status line at the bottom of the screen you have to click on it to see the whole comment in a message box. It's the handling of that click that totally broke the mouse in the dialog !).

54 minutes ago, mer-curious said:

That's it for now. Thank you for your time once again.

PS: perhaps you may have missed my comment on the KOF94 graphical glitch which I reported in my previous post?

Lol, yeah I had missed it. Very minor issue in the game yes, but in the code probably not, the raster stuff is always a real mess, so considering that it's extremely minor in game, I'll pass for now, thanks ! ;-)

(fbneo didn't have too much trouble to make it work, it's the mame code without modification for that !).

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Tux! I'm so glad you agreed with the suggestions for the interface. I wish those subtle changes can help others using the program eventually.

 

5 hours ago, Tux said:

So it won't try to guess the last usage date of a game from the access time in savedata for windows from now on, but if you initialized it already, it will stay, this stat is saved in the stats file in savedata, remove the file if you want to restart from scratch.

Ah, ok. Now I got it. I'll see how it goes when I try the next version. Thanks again for clarifying.

 

5 hours ago, Tux said:

edit : it's fixed in git, the stupidest bug ever, a 1 line fix, it's there since march 30th, 2021 ! (it was added because if there is a comment for a cheat which is too long to fit on the status line at the bottom of the screen you have to click on it to see the whole comment in a message box. It's the handling of that click that totally broke the mouse in the dialog !).

Yes, I don't use that option that much because I don't like to cheat in most arcade games when I can try again and again with infinite credits. But fortunately it was easy to fix.

 

5 hours ago, Tux said:

Lol, yeah I had missed it. Very minor issue in the game yes, but in the code probably not, the raster stuff is always a real mess, so considering that it's extremely minor in game, I'll pass for now, thanks ! ;-)

(fbneo didn't have too much trouble to make it work, it's the mame code without modification for that !).

Ok, no problem. After you said FBNeo took the code straight from MAME I was wondering if you couldn't do the same or at least take a look and see what they did to avoid this issue in the game?

Anyway, thank you again for your time and for your fast work. ☺️

Edited by mer-curious
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well there are interesting cheats sometimes, which extend the possibility by adding options you wouldn't guess, it's worth at least opening the dialog to see what there is inside, really...

For mame, oh no, I use their source for information on the hardware, despite the fact that it becomes harder and harder with recent versions, but except that, our code is extremely different, there is only the sound part, and a small part for the eeproms that we have in common (+ the C z80 and the C 6502 for the 64 bits version, well they are modified to work in raine, but they come from an old version of mame). Actually the sound part is even different in their recent versions, but it's not really a problem anymore. Except that our code is really too different for that, even the mentality is quite different, they try to be closer to the electronic board in the original arcade machine, I try to make the code of the original machine work as smoothly as possible, in the end it produces more or less the same result, but it's 2 very different ways to reach it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...