Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
prime

comctl32.dll load error

Hi there,

Compiling from git MESSUI repository....using recommended mame build environment on windows 10 X64

Compile of both messui and winui with "make PTR64=1 SUBTARGET=mess OSD=newui" and "make PTR64=1 SUBTARGET=mess OSD=messui" complete successfully and produce mame64.exe and mameui64.exe

However when I try to run mameui64.exe I get a popup box with "MESSUI64 has detected an old version of comctl32.dll. Unable to proceed"

Investigating with process monitor I find that it's trying to load the DLL from "C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.19041.488_none_4238de57f6b64d28\comctl32.dll"

Which is version 5.82 of the DLL, so strange that it's failing the test.

On further inversigation in mui_util.cpp, it seems to be failing the following test :

FARPROC lpfnDLLI = GetProcAddress(hModule, "DllInstall");

if (NULL != lpfnDLLI)
			{
			} 
			return PACKVERSION(4,7);

commenting out the if alows the test to pass and 5 82 is returned to the calling code in winui.cpp, however then it crahes with "Win32UI_init: Error creating main dialog, aborting"

So something's wrong :(

Cheers.

Phill.

I can only support what I build. See the notice at https://messui.1emulation.com/

You can compile your own binary by accessing the listed github repository, and using the tools and options listed above. This is provided as a license requirement only. Compile issues are not supported. You're on your own.

You should tell your windows to use the comctl32.dll that is in c:\windows\system32. You might need to register the dll. On my system it says File version 5.82.18362.1139 and Product version 10.0.18362.1139

The things that are in winsxs are for system restores, and should not be accessible to the normal user.