Suggested post count requirement for status updates

I'm going to look into it... they left quite a mess though and just got done cleaning it up. Seems like they posted the answer to our anti-spam question worldwide as they all came in the last 2 days...

I've had this trouble on other forums. The best thing is to ban entire countries: Poland, Russia, and the former members of the Soviet Union. Nothing good ever comes from those places; only spammers and hackers.

Sadly, it has been my determination that the only real deterrent is manual account approval. Ive also noticed that once the spammers figure out that a human has the final say on signing up, they stop trying. Granted, the bots still try, but they are scripts running on a machine, and they know nothing.

So, the questions stop the bots, the manual approval stops the humans. Done and done.

(Yes, the bots will still try)

Eh, but how does the admin know that the person is real or not?

Its easy when you're a dev forum for a group working secretly to make something, but for a public forum like this...

(Yes, the bots will still try)

Eh, but how does the admin know that the person is real or not?

Its easy when you're a dev forum f

or a group working secretly to make something, but for a public forum like this...

I have had this, I was a genuine user and 3 weeks later - was approved after I sent an email asking what was up.

Sadly, it has been my determination that the only real deterrent is manual account approval. Ive also noticed that once the spammers figure out that a human has the final say on signing up, they stop trying. Granted, the bots still try, but they are scripts running on a machine, and they know nothing.

So, the questions stop the bots, the manual approval stops the humans. Done and done.

My technique is simple - While the applicant is waiting for final approval, I enter the given username and IP address into Google. if on the first page I see a reference to a site dedicated to logging Spmmer's IP addresses, I immediately delete the account. If instead, I discover that the user has signed up for a dozen or so forums in the last few days, all of which are unrelated --especially if the user signed up to forums in several different languages, I delete the account immediately. If I find references to the user that show actual posts being made in other places, or no reference at all, I approve the registration. It takes about 5 minutes or so to make a determination on a registrant at most.

My technique is simple - While the applicant is waiting for final approval, I enter the given username and IP address into Google. if on the first page I see a reference to a site dedicated to logging Spmmer's IP addresses, I immediately delete the account. If instead, I discover that the user has signed up for a dozen or so forums in the last few days, all of which are unrelated --especially if the user signed up to forums in several different languages, I delete the account immediately. If I find references to the user that show actual posts being made in other places, or no reference at all, I approve the registration. It takes about 5 minutes or so to make a determination on a registrant at most.

I do this same thing on a few boards, with the exception that I don't manually approve all member accounts. I just go through the member list like once a day. Spammers and bots aren't exactly known for their impeccable ability to choose decent usernames, either.

I do this same thing on a few boards, with the exception that I don't manually approve all member accounts. I just go through the member list like once a day. Spammers and bots aren't exactly known for their impeccable ability to choose decent usernames, either.

This is late and a little unrelated but do you remember when your post per day count was like 52 when you first joined? That was flippin awesome.