How to increase punch power and improve balance?

emsley

Do any of you guys know how to increase punch power?

I have no bag to work on, I do pull ups, and push ups a lot.

Obviously my style is not kung fu so Im counting pure strength to get my punch power increased.

Also any simple ways to improve balance say if im hit I want to be able to improve my centre of gravity or would all that be in a fighting stance and repetitive training?

When I get back in to leeds I might be joining a mui thai Gym, but in the meantime with out any aids how would I improve punch power and my footing?

Any videos links, or ideas guys?

Edit: While im on this I might as well tell you my theory on fighting.

Obviously Im not one to start a fight so when I do get into one I have had to learn how to fuck people up in a basic way, but after a few years I have kinda developed my own ideas on how I fight.

I will seize my opponent up.

If they are taller than me but without weight (tall and thin) I look to tackle them to the floor and throw all my weight in to a take down, and pound them. (i think their centre of gravity is easily thrown out)

If they are tall and weighty - I normally run, but have won a few by exploding punches as fast as I can.

Thier centre of gravity is heavily rooted leaving you no chocie but to brawl.

Fattys: Just move round their punching arm so if they are right handed I move to their left constantly till they tire then strike.

medium height medium weight - from my experience these guys tend to be all rounders and surprise packages for your ass kicking. I try to strike first and depending how well the punch connected will go for a tackle to ground and pound them. Sometimes one punch is enough to through them out and you can just rattle off a few more.

Little bastards - grab them then twat them.

I like to engage then deliver a critical strike - im carefull with a critical strike such as a blow to the nose or jaw line, as hitting the mouth can lead to your knuckles been split and infections can set in and hitting someone in the nose is pretty fucking messy, I only do this when I know the other guy would do it to me.

My other theory:

Sometimes guys front you in a public place or bar or whatever and they walk up to you and are like a small arms length in front of you squaring up. I like to pretend im been submissive tuck my head in then Headbutt them in the nose.

I think this tactic rocks!

What you guys like?

Im not hard or anything This is just what I have learned over 29 years of been round really stupid people.

In my early twenties I used to get my ass kicked a lot by bullys and gangs so I had no option and can now stand my ground pretty well.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I suppose you can increase with strength training and technique, but a lot of times being able to punch hard has just to do with genetics. Things like putting your hip into it and chest/arm/shoulder/back muscles must all play a part. But I wouldn't know very well, being a pacifist.

Lets see if I can condense this...

Fighting is a frame of mind. I have noticed in times of confrontation my mind goes blank. I think this is because the reality of the moment creates a situation where the mind protects itself. I just dont know but through training one can move through this. The main thing I can say is to keep a clear mind and do not second guess yourself. Its as if you need to actually accelerate your mind to the next level. See things the moment they happen and react. I would actually recommend reading Bruce Lee's "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" But since it was constructed from notes after his death by help of his wife, it isnt put together like a conventional book, its fragmented. There are a ton of philosophies you really need to read, trust me.

Anyway, you need to go with the flow. Never under estimate your opponent. Treat every situation like they can fuck you up.

My ideas...

A punching bag would be the best way but since you dont have one... you would want to concentrate on certain areas throughout the attack. For instance doing push ups and pull ups is great but that does no simulate punching dynamics. It would be beneficial to focus on certain things... First understand that attacking should act like a whip. The base of the object begins to move and the length of the whip builds speed. By the time the end reaches is objective its moving much much faster than the base. This is the true principle of attacking with any strength. You can train and train your punches but know this. Bruce said that if you practice over and over you build memory of that chain of commands subconsciously... basically. So if your really tired and you are not throwing the punch correctly, that isnt good as you are being sloppy and teaching your body false commands. It is imperative that the only muscles acting are the ones necessary to command at any given time. If you are tense the muscles that need to act are fighting through the other muscles to do so... thereby lessening the final impact. So obviously you need to be loose, you need to flow like water.

Hmm one can see why his book was so fragmented, there are so many factors, you cant really make a paragraph... Im trying to raleigh as best I can without being confusing.

Anyway, the whip. Lee's Lead punch is a perfect example of the whip mechanics. Imagine this. Your weight slightly leans to your lead foot, shifting the center of balance. Think of your weight shifting to your favor... like leaning on someone... but of course this is a slight shift but the principle is the same. As your weight slightly shifts you are also twisting your abdomen to rotate your torso, as this happens your arm is extending 1.2.3 this is a reduced version of the theory but by the time the punch connects it is faster and stronger than normal because all the actions operated like a chain of commands, one after another. It sounds too simplistic but for the sake of explanation I left it like that. The theory remains. But also know than fact that being tense will rob you of power. If the only muscles that act are the exact ones to do the motion, (also assuming they relax when not needed) the muscles engaged will not have to fight other muscles therefore concentrating all power in the ease of motion... outcome faster / stronger

Remember this, Force is Mass x Speed x2. A big guy may swing at me but if he is muscle bound and his punch real slow, the only thing doing damage is the fact that his weight/strength doesnt give after contact is made. If you could hit true (perfect execution) it would feel so awesome executing that you would FEEL the fact that you just landed an awesome hit. I have thrown Haymakers that were so fast It felt like I ripped veins/arteries/ligiments/tendons in the process. My arm was aching.

There is much much more to say and I have sacrificed much in terms of explanation to make this quickly absorbable. Consider these general keynotes. You will have to find the truth in them and take it from there. Expand what you take from these notes and do what you think is best.

As for building strength. There are various things I can think of but these techniques are of my devising so Ill stop here. Balance too. Ill post this and read it a few times... see if I made and sense lol

But remember this, fighting is more than strength. I am very weak right now. I am fatter than ever and weaker than you know. My body is in atrophy actually... I do nothing. Id not do well in a fight that lasted over a few minuites. But those first 30 seconds... I am a nightmare. Yea im weak, yea im fat etc etc etc. But I know how to fight. Its not the strength, its the will. Fighting is spiritual.

Yes, the big muscle bound guys are actually quite easy to beat, I would only fear them grabbing you.

I once punched this muscled up steroid guy, I placed my left hand on him to tee up my right and unloaded punch after punch and he could do anything, i couldnt even brake through his arm.

Will, thats stats heavy and appears to be kung fu in base, although i understand what you are saying it would take far too long for me to get it.

Although i practiced Kung fu for 3 months (i know fuck all) i found it way to difficult and the situation I was in at the time was advised by ryan not to use it in combat till i had sparred.

So I jacked it in and practised basic boxing moves to tie me over.

I mean a year later my buddy had practised kung fu for a year and we shadow sparred (not hitting but getting close enough) and i laced the fuck out of him, I said to him "shaun this is how a street fight happens" the punches are going to come high to the head fast. he had warning, asumed his stance and I reckon I had hit him in the head about 6 or 8 times before he knew what to do, he wasnt trained, he wasnt sub concious and I knew then that kung fu wasnt for me.

Im a basic fighter, all upper body no legs, id say the closet martial art i have is the basics of boxing in jabbing and round-housing. My take down are purely like a rugby players (american football).

A fight on the street is over in 30 seconds or 60 seconds....

I said to react but that isnt quite accurate. The truism is you need to move beyond all that. Yes you react to situations but in the heat of the moment you need to actually see it as they happen, like your waiting for it.

Balance is fundamental. If your laying on your back throwing a punch up has no power. This is because you need to shift into the attack. So balance is key. Shifting your weight into or out of attacks is the key to controlling the flow of the fight. Often you need to make him react to you as opposed to waiting for him. But like I said this all goes so fast its like an entity in itself. Fighting is indeed spiritual.

Building power. Your may be in shape but these workouts build general strength. I think concentrating on certain points will exponentially increase your effectiveness. There are various workout techniques for wrists and things like that. A solid wrist can make the difference. Workouts include taking a rod and tying a thin rope to the center. On the other end have a weight. Hold the rod on either side and rapidly spin it to wind the rope. Then unwind. Rinse and repeat. Also having the weight at one end of the rod (via rope) and make large circles clockwise and counterclockwise while holding the weighted end as still as possible. These to exercises would build strength in your wrist and have a great impact... on impacts heh.

I dont know what to tell you about balance. Other than you dont want to be too high or too low for any length of time. It is necessary to adjust your weight into the punches but one can never stay at any given posture for long. As soon as strikes are made your opponent reacts and you need to move again. Footwork is a major part but your weight class should make this a cinch.

Large guys... their strength is their bulk. If you come in you remove their strike advantage but then you are acceptable to holds and the like. If you were punching the shit out of me, (me being bigger) Id likely grab you.

Jaw/mouth is weak (usually) but you are right, you can end up cutting yourself of a tooth. But hitting vital points is usually the key. Avoid the temple for obvious reasons. Do not discount hitting the same spot repeatedly, Although adrenaline will reduce the effect on him, working a spot has great potential. Ribs for instance.

I know what works for me but you are different. Remember Fedors big punch on his last fight... that something Id do but since you lack the weight, I dont know if that would be effective for you.

Basically act, dont react (read Tao of Jeet Kune Do to understand fully) to a situation. You must be in the moment. Try to think clearly and be several moves ahead at all times. That sound crazy but if you force him to react to you (dynamically speaking<there are times you may need to react instead>) the fight is on your terms.

You may benefit from other techniques too. Never put all your points into one stat. Having max strength dont help much if your speed and Agility are at 1. Throws and joint manipulation are a powerful tool. Most people dont know how to fight. Example, A big guy may throw a large punch. Id be inclined to slightly duck and roll in and spin myself about, grab the arm and use his momentum to throw him over me. Its quite easy as in he already committed himself to such an off balanced attack. Get him while he is doing something.

LOL I almost forgot how much I talk.

This could get even more drawn out and perhaps I didnt even help much. Point is fighting is dynamic. There is alot to it even though all things happen instantly. Describing what it is or what to do is a book or actually many many books of knowledge. I can go on and on (I already have) and still just scratch the surface.

I disagree on terms of my techniques being Kung Fu esque. Perhaps what I said seem hard to incorporate. But know this. If you dip and lean forward, stand hard on your forward stabilizing leg and then twist your hip, then extend your torso, while extending your arm etc etc etc. If your connection is in full extension by the time it hits (assuming it connects) the force generated is more than your strength... its all the strength added by each action that led up to it.

Im certain. I got your PM. What you will want to do is anticipate his attack. You may even want him to hit you... see the attack and sling your head or body back before the impact... as in as soon as you see his torso move. By the time it reaches you your already shifting your weight backwards. The impact would be much lessened.

But whatever. Once its on, Perhaps something like shifting to his inside, while moving in get in an uppercut or whatever you feel comfortable with. With a burst of energy, all you can muster pummel with as many punches you can deal with. As an opponent begins getting hit there is a delay, the mind is being bombarded with sensations... and damage. This is when you take it up a notch and make your strikes fierce. Fast and as perfectly extended as you can. Using hips and torso to increase range of motion etc etc etc. You would be amazed how much strength is multiplied when your entire bidy is in it. And since your on the lighter side, your movements would be lightning fast. That is your strength. At least one of them but its quite an advantage.

I would suggest keeping an eye opened... Anticipate his counter actions while doing any given thing. Duck a punch, dodge a grab... or better yet, when a mit is placed on you, punch him repeatedly in the face before he can think. LOL And if your range of motion is inhibited by a grab... consider punching the soft interior joint of an elbow. Or better yet hooks or kicks to the ribs or neck.

Point is you are you and there are countless possibilities. Rely on your strengths and do not allow his will to prevail over yours. Sounds like he is trying to be tough, puff up. He has something to prove and he is in error (?) Assuming this is so, he is already at a disadvantage. His will to fight is derived from stupidity and pure anger. Where as you have a more complex reality to draw your will from. Sounds like nonsense but it isnt.

He may mop the floor with you I have no idea... but remember one thing. You are you and you may very well have to impose your will against his. Slipping into the zone may be much easier for you, than for him.

Oh yea... here is a good tip. Remember when I said watch for his first attack? Keep your eyes unfocused... but look toward his upper torst, just under the neck area. I say this but the pint is to actually take into account his actions. His body will be the first indication of an attack, you see... who punches with the arm only... it starts from ones core. This will give you the split second to react before the fist is in your face.

God you would think I was some kind of street thug.

You know I realised with me been out here in a calmer place that people in the city are actually pretty violent act tough and pretend to be tough.

I must be the only one who walks round with a skip in my step and some joy and they are like "He is marginally happy! Get him!"

I still think I attract trouble because im the "right height" and Im really good at attracting women - so I think guys just hate me in general and think they can "sort me out" and have done with, sadly for them I Dont lie down like I used to.

I never mess around with women in a relationship i do flirt but say if it was my friend not like a facebook friend who you never see or talk to I wouldn't even think about crossing any lines.

All the trouble I get is from women - there is always a guy who thinks he is entitled to this girl or that girl and when I put my intentions across and that he will "beat me up."

fuck that Im fed up of these asshats, for some reason if i keep out of trouble I get more.

Get phumped here!

First its this one:

Then this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDTNEEu3Rw

Best viewed after a few beers!