Splinter Cell: Conviction

So Splinter Cell: Conviction is now out for PC, and I'll probably be getting it sooner or later, it's bound to be awesome, but I have one question. Why has Sam Fisher got progressively younger in the Splinter Cell games? They made a point of how old he is in the first game, and then with each sequel made him appear younger and younger. The biggest change in look came at Chaos Theory where he suddenly seemed to drink a potion of youth and drop from a man in his fifties to a man in his early forties. Now Conviction is here and he looks like he's had another potion and is now in his early thirties or younger. Say nothing for the fact that his face has changed completely each time. I know characters get redesigned, but I think they've gone silly with Sam. He's supposed to be this seasoned, over the hill but won't quit kind of guy. Now he's just looking like your standard action hero type, like Chris Redfireld or something. I seriously think by the next game he'll look younger than Chris. I mean he's voiced by an actor now aged 60, whose voice just doesn't fit anymore. What are they thinking? Being old isn't cool?

Say what?! For shame. They're some of the best the Xbox has to offer.

Edit: Oh dear. Looks like I won't be buying this game on PC after all. I was about to buy it on Amazon when I read that it needs a constant internet connection to play the single player game. Bullshit. My gaming rig is offline. Even if it wasn't why the hell are they still doing this DRM bullshit? Just to play the damn game you have to connect to Ubisoft's server? Which could be down at anytime, meaning you can't play. And you just know that in a couple of years time they'll be down all together, so no going back and playing a game you bought a while ago coz you felt like replaying it. I hate this stuff. It's really like they don't want me to buy PC games anymore. Chalk up another good game that I won't be buying, coz of a publisher's stupidity.

Devs are killing PC gaming all on their own, yet they continue to blame pirates. Funny...they're making pirates out of their own paying customers.

I haven't bought a PC game since I bought MGS2 for PC, and I never will again. Overhyped crap with draconian DRM, games with NO demos or joke mini segment demos are a huge turnoff. Don't even get me started on the garbage EA releases like the NHL games that look 10 years old compared to the console versions...

Then there's stuff like Crysis when it came out, that required you have THE latest gear just to even play it at a tolerable framerate, means what? I spend $60 on a game, then realize I need to drop a couple hundred more to even be able to play it at all, because the devs lied about minimum specs and the game runs like total ass at those specs?

Devs don't want PC gaming anymore, I think they're releasing PC games now the way they do, to try to turn PC gamers into console gamers. Consoles are where they can nickel and dime you for micro-transactions, control EVERYTHING about the game, and it's one hardware platform to optimize for instead of the multitude of PC gear.

Not sure what you've got against the Splinter Cell games there, the series is definitely in the top ten if you ask me. Cinder's right though. I now have two choices if I want to play Conviction, either pirate it, or buy it on console. I don't want to buy a 360 at the moment, so it's probably going to be the Skidrow pirate release on PC. I didn't want to pirate it, I bought all the previous games legally, but I actually don't have much choice here.

When broadband first came out, I went through a phase of pirating PC games, coz they were only on CDs at the time, easy to download at up to 600mb for each game, the odd double CD one. But then when games started being on DVDs, at over 8gb a pop, I stopped pirating them. Too much download time for one game, and I noticed that the price of PC games that had been out a little while had dropped significantly, so I started buying up games a year or two after their release, when they were down to £5 or so. Occasionally I'll buy a game I really want at release, like I was going to with Conviction. DRM is now stopping me from doing that in a lot of cases, and almost convincing me to go back to my pirating ways.

Crysis was a joke and the game wasn't that good.

I have downloaded a handful of games this year, Battlefield bad company (ran like shit on my rig uninstalled) Bioshock 2 (they ruined it) Left 4 dead two (pretty good I even got online play) and just cause two (frame rate was wank)

Downloading these games saved me a lot of money that I would of spent on complete let downs...

Although I might try just cause two on the console but I Dont think I will bother now.

Ive spent hundreds on games this year and to help my self to the odd download I can safely say I never feel guilty.

Especially with the amount of security and fuck you over shit your getting on some games on the PC.

I rememebr the first time DRM caught me by surprise Id just been to get Far cry 2 on the PC and was really looking foreword to it, blam!!! online activation! it was 10 in the morning and im sat there with my thumb up my ass trying to figure out where i can get a connection, i had to wait for my old man to get in from work lug my entire rig up to his and let it roll for activation, then after that i could play it in off-line mode.

To have to have a CONSTANT connection is a JOKE.

Is it Ubisoft that seem to be taking DRM a little too far?

I know this might sound crazy, maybe even shocking BUT NOT ALL PEOPLE HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION!!! YOU ARROGANT FUCKS!!

Soz just had to get that off my chest...

:P

I feel the same way. I have an internet connection, (wired) on the PC downstairs, which is a shared Pentium 4, not powerful enough for new games. My personal gaming rig is upstairs, without an internet connection. There are no phone points upstairs for me to use, so I keep it offline. I don't play online games these days, so not having internet on my gaming rig is fine, plus it means less chance of spyware etc. It only becomes a problem when stupid DRM comes into play. As it is for me, the only way I could play Conviction legally, would be to buy a wireless interface card for each PC, and a wireless router, so the two computers could share a wireless connection. Not going to happen just to play the singleplayer part of a game. Therefore, I am going to pirate Conviction, and I don't feel guilty either, as Ubisoft have made me do it themselves.

For some reason, Splinter Cell games dropped of my radar after the first game, and I've never really had an itch to play any of them.

On a somewhat related note, I haven't bought PC games in years, mainly due to my computer being hopelessly underpowered. The next biggest reason is the DRM bullshit which we can all agree on. It's not like publishers are going to learn from their mistakes and do away with DRM, they prefer to feed the delusion that DRM solutions somehow deter unauthorized copying/piracy. Like UbiSoft.