XBOX Case Fan

Neo369

Hey guys looking for a bit of advice. I recently upgaded my XBOX fan to this silent fan from Vantec. Works great, and is super-quiet, my only question has to do with power. I was thinking about doing the 12V mod, but it did not seem like a very good idea to pull 12V from a 6V source (don't really want to fry my mb). So instead I am just upping the fan speed override in XBMC. The question is that when I use this override, will the fan still run at a higher speed while playing games/emulators, or only when XBMC is running, because I thought I heard it quiet down when I started up a game. If this only applies to XBMC, is there a way to set the default fan speed on my bios to keep it going faster when playing games?

Thanks to anybody who knows, also, if you have had success with the 12V mod, or want to kindly explain to me why it won't mess anything up, that would be awesome.

Did that mod with a Vantec stealth 3 yrs ago approx, with and without the 12v mod.

Without the 12v mod it was quieter, for a while.

After the 12v mod my motherboard lasted about a week.

I now run all my xboxes on what fans they are manufactured with.

So in conclusion we can summise that.

A- I can't of done the 12v mod properly.

B- I did do the 12v mod properly but its not healthy for the board.

So its up to you !

I have an old Xport Xpod replacement case for one of my Xbox systems and it has three 80mm fans in it. I didn't do any mod to them or anything and they work fine and have been for over 5 years now. I think if you leave the fans alone and use them as is, it won't hurt the board.

Also, what the hell size is the Xbox's stock fan? Its so odd...

Edited by PhilExile

You're right that the fan speed overide is just for XBMC. Once you start a game it will go back to the bios default. Certain bioses will let you change the fan speed in their config files. The X2 5035 uses an ini file where you can alter the fan speed, so does the IND Bios. If I had a quieter fan I'd certainly ramp up the speed in the bios. I don't know too much about electronics, but I wouldn't mess around with voltages.

Ok for anyone who is curious, I have the fan hooked up to 12V and it runs great now. Seems to be a bit cooler than before, and is not as quiet as on 6V, but is still quieter than the stock fan was. The problem with putting any other fan to the mb with 6V is that most fans are 1 milliamp. The stock fan is 2.5 mA, so other fans will run, but will be underpowered and go very slowly. This will likely cause the XBOX to overheat. Going with what CBA said, do not do the 12V mod. It will likely kill your XBOX. Instead what I have done, with a 3 to 4 pin connector (also can be done simply by joining some wires) is powered my fan directly from the power source, which has a 12V source currently going to the harddrive. This can be tapped, to power the fan and the harddrive. This will cause no damage to the harddrive as 1 mA is a very small amount of current. A pretty simple fix for anyone wanting to switch fans.

Clever stuff. Did you get your bios to override the default fan speed?

Nah, didn't bother. Since the fan isn't running from the motherboard anymore, there is no speed control. From XBMC or BIOS. It's just constant 12V all the time.

Good point, didn't think of that.