Please help me softmodding

waal

Hey,

It's been days I'm trying to mod. I bought an XBOX 1.0 and used Soft Mod Installer Deluxe v5.01. It worked well for modding the original HDD except the led blinking that means I have to set time.

The real problem is upgrading the hard drive, a 250gb western digital caviar: I backuped my eeprom and the original HD content to my PC. Then I followed the instructions for HDM 1.9 and my new HDD was properly installed.

When I tested the new HDD i found two problems:

- ~123gb allocated to F but where in the hell is the rest ? So I activated the G drive and I got a 0 byte size on screen.

- Worse than that, I set the time in the original xbox dash like they said to stop the led blinking. Since then I always have a black screen after the flubber and the XBOX when I boot the xbox.

So I plugged back to the PC the new HDD and redid the HDM 1.9 step. But I always have this black screen when I boot. The original HDD still boots, though.

Thanks for helping me.

I need my retro fix !!!

Edited by waal

Hey,

It's been days I'm trying to mod. I bought an XBOX 1.0 and used Soft Mod Installer Deluxe v5.01. It worked well for modding the original HDD except the led blinking that means I have to set time.

The real problem is upgrading the hard drive, a 250gb western digital caviar: I backuped my eeprom and the original HD content to my PC. Then I followed the instructions for HDM 1.9 and my new HDD was properly installed.

When I tested the new HDD i found two problems:

- ~123gb allocated to F but where in the hell is the rest ? So I activated the G drive and I got a 0 byte size on screen.

- Worse than that, I set the time in the original xbox dash like they said to stop the led blinking. Since then I always have a black screen after the flubber and the XBOX when I boot the xbox.

So I plugged back to the PC the new HDD and redid the HDM 1.9 step. But I always have this black screen when I boot. The original HDD still boots, though.

Thanks for helping me.

I need my retro fix !!!

can you not load up a disc like say slayers and that way you can check the drive via ftp and see f there are any files missing for example.

i am no expert at softmodding by the way just trying to help.

I usually use this guide when I upgrade a hard drive:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=496263

Be sure to select this step when you set up Ndure

"NKP .67 - Use this if you have a hard drive over 200 gb, this will create a G partition."

You still need to format the G: partition afterwards if I remember correctly.

Did you place your C: drive files in there when you used xboxHDM? That might be your boot issue if you did not. You can get the stock C & E files from the Slayers disc or the SMID CD by searching the CD if you did not back them up.

Thanks for the link. Obviously it's much more complete than the doc I have. I will read it carefully.

Yes I copied C and E partitions. I have FTP them from the original drive I softmoded. But I forgot about the G partition concerning the new HDD. Also, maybe the xboxdash was too old (didn't update).

I think I will look for slayers disc instead of AID.

Edited by waal

Yes I copied C and E partitions. I have FTP them from the original drive I softmoded.

you got your eeprom too yea? use config magic. remember to place it in the eeprom folder when making a hdm disc. and make sure you rename it correctly. config magic names it something like BAKEUPeeprom.bin or something like that and it just just be eeprom.bin.

Edited by dballs

Yes I copied C and E partitions. I have FTP them from the original drive I softmoded.

you got your eeprom too yea? use config magic. remember to place it in the eeprom folder when making a hdm disc. and make sure you rename it correctly. config magic names it something like BAKEUPeeprom.bin or something like that and it just just be eeprom.bin.

Sure I did backup the eeprom before and they are correctly named.

Now I'm trying to NTFS format the new HDD and Partition Magic says it has I/O errors. I wanna start from scratch. The drive was 100% working before, coming straight from the shop and tested on peecee. Is it because it is now xbox formatted and locked ? A protection ? Or the console and/or the softmod did f**** up the drive ?

How do you wipe a drive clean ? Do you know a tool for that, cba.gy ?

Try Kingroaches version of the ndure softmod installer and wipe the drive clean and rebuild the partition tables etc.

I just read this on the release note : "The installer only works on dashboard version 5960 (current latest dashboard)."

I forgot to update the dashboard. :)

Edited by waal

How do you wipe a drive clean ? Do you know a tool for that, cba.gy ?

Try Kingroaches version of the ndure softmod installer and wipe the drive clean and rebuild the partition tables etc.

I just read this on the release note : "The installer only works on dashboard version 5960 (current latest dashboard)."

I forgot to update the dashboard. ;)

HDM 1.9 will wipe the drive when it formats and copies the files/dash over.

You can get the 5960 dash from here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/557450#3371151

Thanks guys for your help. I created a new softmod with Kingroach's Ndure 3.1 with latest dashboard then I wiped my HD, copied the files and locked with HDM. Now I've got two big F & G partitions ready for emu happiness.