Consoles from days of old

VT-Vincent

Today I was in the process of reworking some of the wiring on my home entertainment center and in the process of testing everything, I turned on my Sega Saturn and couldn't help but play it for a while. Despite the fact it's over 14 years old, I still keep it as an active component of my setup. Aside from that, all of my systems are of current or next-to-current generation. I used to own many older consoles, but I eventually ended up thinning out my selection as emulation improved for each platform. As a general rule, when the platform was near fully emulated, I eliminated the physical hardware and moved the library to my media center.

With SSF's progress over the years, it is looking like my dear old Saturn will be up next on the chopping block. For some reason though, I can't really bear to get rid of it. It never had an impressive game library or a long run (at least not in North America) but it has always been a favorite of mine. I have a plethora of accessories for it (including two new-in-box 3D gamepads) and I even had this particular unit modded. I think the reason the system is so special to me is that it's one of the few consoles I was very excited to get in my childhood. In a way, playing it takes me back to those days.

What old consoles do you guys still keep around, and why?

Im not one for keeping a console to be honest in fact i have none at all at the moment.

I miss the SNES though, I sold my gamecube with resdient evil 4 a while back needed the cash at the time 20 quid but better than a smack in the eye.

The sega saturn ruled.

I sold my Saturn, I don't care for most titles on it...the hyped ones are ridiculous (Sorry fanboys, Panzer Dragoon SUCKS)

The only older systems I have would be my N64 and my Dreamcast, emulation of both is sub par still. At least too poor to move to strictly emulating them.

In my bedroom, which now contains what used to be my office. I have my Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, 360 and my Wii. Well the Wii is my GFs. The 64 and DC stay downstairs on my old CRT TV, they look like ASS on my HDTV.

With the Dreamcast you should use the VGA Box for an HDTV. It will look much better. With the N64 an S-Video cable may help, but I dunno the N64 always looks kinda blurry just because of the hardware.

I will probably never sell my N64 though. I remember playing N64 for the first time and seeing all this 3D stuff. It was crazy.

With the Dreamcast you should use the VGA Box for an HDTV. It will look much better. With the N64 an S-Video cable may help, but I dunno the N64 always looks kinda blurry just because of the hardware.

I will probably never sell my N64 though. I remember playing N64 for the first time and seeing all this 3D stuff. It was crazy.

I have an S-Video cable for the N64, it still looks much cleaner on the SDTV. Same for the Dreamcast, I don't really play it enough any more to be bothered with a VGA cable/box for it either. If I go that route, I'd just make my own cable anyway...the Dreamcast outputs VGA, not the box/cable so why pay some inflated price when I can do it myself for very little?

Because you can get a Chinese knockoff that works just as well as the real thing for around 5 dollars with free shipping. It's probably going to cost about that much or more to make it yourself.

Actually no, a D-Sub port is like $0.25, and I actually still have 3 sets on hand right now. I'd dremel a spot for it in the shell right above the AV port and tap directly into the circuit, might cost me another $0.10 in wire and I like tinkering. Plus no waiting for shipping from China and I can use any VGA cable I have on hand. ;)

Damn you, now you've got me wanting to actually do this. http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:dreamcastav

I wish I had my old consoles. I dont miss blowing into nes carts though... Although emulation is great, I miss the old days, systems all in a row in front of the TV...

So your telling me saturn emulation is coming around? I'll believe it when I see it. Funny how that its super protected, and then the Dreamcast had none. They thought their game medium was unbreakable... laughable. Well If Guardian Heroes ever comes out for the XBLM I'll have no need to get a Saturn I suppose... but still, I miss those days.

At one point or another I've owned everything since the Master system with the exeptions of NeoGeo, 3DO and Jaguar. But I don't have any of them anymore. There is no point in owning anything that is well emulated. hell I could play snes on my phone.

and I am with Vince, the Saturn has a special place in my memories. I dunno why either. other then the fighting games there really wan't much going on that I was into.