Joystick Research

Krosigrim

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the american 6 buttion layout but then again I have never tried the Japanese version. I'm thinking about buying a Mad Catz TE Fightstick. The only thing that bugs me is the JLF Ball and shaft, I prefer a JLW-W Bat.

you can switch out to a bat top. that what I have. you can also switch out the shaft spring to a JLW for a tighter feel.

I like the american 6 buttion layout but then again I have never tried the Japanese version. I'm thinking about buying a Mad Catz TE Fightstick. The only thing that bugs me is the JLF Ball and shaft, I prefer a JLW-W Bat.

Like Inky said you can swap it out. But it looks like you'll need an Adaptor

Lizardlick.com

$ 5.45 here for both together before shipping costs. I don't want a bat, I like the smaller profile of the nob.

Well anyway, I've been working on the mounting for the case. I've ironed most of it out, so now I gotta decide on the face button placement.

buttonconfig2.jpg

Now here Im off-setting the last 2 buttons, as with the slant it puts those last buttons just out of comfortable range. So no straight 6. And I had 2 left over buttons... They aren't typically used anyway... cheat buttons. But with a config like this, they are in range of my thumbs. Soul Caliber is what I had in mind, I can put the guard down there. I only needed 1 button there for that and I couldn't think of where to put the other button. If both buttons are there, I can set them as the support buttons in MVC2, thats just me trying to come up with something useful... as I am still uncertain about the configuration of my button placements.

I'll carve up another box lid and see how this works. What do you guys think?

I think you know what I think by now :)

straight 6 and leave the cheater buttons off :D

your layout seems like an interesting way to do it though.

Well the slant is much much more comfortable, as thats the angle my hands lay. The offset works as with this slant the last 2 are juuuust out of perfect placement. I can hit the buttons quite well with my wrist resting under the buttons... so it seems like it'll work. I havent carved up a box yet. The extra buttons at the thumbs would be absolutely perfect for Soul Caliber...

Im not sold on this... it's just another idea... lemme get to it, and ill see how it works.

EDIT:

sspx0288.jpgI spread my fingers so you can see the angle of the 6 main buttons

I like it but it doesnt feel just right. perhaps I'll tweak this premise a bit, but I'll try to think of a few different ideas. I's like to have 1 button for the thumb at least... but where the hell would I put the other button? Having them next to each other is logical... why have a random button somewhere... and as for just having 7 buttons instead of 8... Hmmm

the first lower button makes for a nice neo geo 4 button layout. I don't think you will ever find a use for the 8th button in a fighting game.

Well here I put that button right between the 2 previous holes. The first one felt too close and the second too far.

sspx0289.jpgAnd you can see I didnt go with such a large offset on the last 2 as I did in that pic I drew up.