Yet Another "Can't Run NeoGeo Stuff In Kawaks" Topic

I've looked around at several sources, and I still can't find a solution to my problem. I've found people with similar problems, but what worked for them doesn't seem to work for me.

I'm using Kawaks 1.60, and I downloaded the Neo Geo BIOS, made sure all the appropriate files were in it, and put it into the folder with my ROMs. That folder is, as it happens, my MAME folder, because I didn't want to have to copy or move all of my ROMs. My Capcom ROMs show up just fine and run perfectly, but nothing else shows up on the list. I don't know what else to try.

I'm using Windows XP, if that's at all significant.

Have you set Kawaks' ROM path(s) to point in the right directory? Note that if you put the roms somewhere else other than Kawaks' own (default) ROM directory, then you need to make damn sure that the emulator searches for romsets in the right place.

Your neogeo.zip must contain at least these 3 roms:

000-lo.lo size 65536 crc 5a86cff2

sp-s2.sp1 size 131072 crc 9036d879

sfix.sfix size 131072 crc c2ea0cfd

If that's in your MAME roms folder, that's fine, I do exactly the same thing.

I saw that in another thread. My NEOGEO.zip contains all three of those files. Sorry, I should have mentioned. (Though I don't know what "crc" means.)

And I did make sure Kawaks was looking in the right directory; as I said, it's having no issues running my Capcom ROMs.

Edited by GG Crono

(Though I don't know what "crc" means.)

Cyclic Redundancy Check. Think of it as a fairly simple fingerprint. If you r neogeo.zip has these files, but the CRCs are different than what Robert listed, then we might have a problem.

You know, you could always try some other Neo-Geo emulator (FBA/FBA Shuffle, MAME even) if Kawaks is giving you a hard time.

Just humor me and put your neogeo.zip and a couple of games into Kakwaks' own rom directory and run the romset scan again. If nothing is found, then the problem is either in your romsets or neogeo.zip.

Just humor me and put your neogeo.zip and a couple of games into Kakwaks' own rom directory and run the romset scan again. If nothing is found, then the problem is either in your romsets or neogeo.zip.

I tried that. Still nothing.

When you open the zip file, over on the right is a column labelled CRC-32. The numbers in there MUST match what I listed above.

I didn't have such a column, so I made the mistake of assuming that, since everything else matched, everything was ijat. Yeah, yeah, stupid move on my part, I know. ^^;

That said, I figured out how to check, and it turns out the CRCs don't match. Where might one look to find some replacements?

Another emulator, another neogeo.zip. They can be a son of a bitch to find the one you're after sometimes, if the emu doesn't use an up to date bios set. Luckily it seems the latest MAME set will work, I just checked the CRCs Robert listed. Now I know a place that has said neogeo.zip, which should work for you, but I of course can't link to that place here. :)

Oh I didn't mean another emulator like that, as in try another. I meant it as in nearly every emu that uses the NeoGeo bios needs a different variation of neogeo.zip, and it can be hard sometimes to find one with CRCs that match what you need. I tracked down one for a PSP emu for someone recently, completely different contents to the latest MAME set coz it wasn't up to date, but it's what that emu needed. If you don't already have it, finding the one that CoinOps needs can be a bitch, coz it's not up to date. Anyway, I have a feeling this guy may be sorted now. :)