Need qucik fix for shitty boot up problem.

emsley

I'm on vista - this sucks - recently started booting up then taking longer than normal - then i got a few freezes on "welcome" screen.

Cant overhall the bitch till next week as i need a fat pipe connection not a shitty wirless connection that i have now, any advice to just patch it for a week that will have some effect?

Halp!

Vista is fine now. There are still some things XP is better for (like if your computer is a piece of shit or a netbook) but really, it's been fixed for awhile now. Anything you see/read is just old info still floating around/being reposted and people talking shit because of the reputation it has now. Vista is doomed to forever have a bad rep no matter what happens to it. Gaming wise there are a few games that actually run better in Vista now, and I know certain video cards run better overall under Vista too. Not by a huge leap or anything, but still. Not to mention the networking in Vista destroys XP's from both a performance and security standpoint. I could go on listing more examples but I think you catch my drift.

The easiest thing to do would be to just run linux off a live CD until you have time to fix it. Even if you don't know linux just getting on the internet and all that is pretty straightforward. If your worried about large downloads run something like Damn Small Linux which is designed to be small, I can't remember any of the other distros that are designed to be small but there are a few. Some of the distros just happen to be small. Or if you get the NETINST version of Debian it's like a live cd that only comes with the bare minimum and when you install it you can pick only what you want and it then downloads it for you. You could always just install next to nothing.

Out of curiosity, did you try the usual CHKDSK/Defrag yet? It's kind of unusual that it's slowing down during the bootup process. You may also want to check the activity log to see if a particular service or application is hanging during the bootup process.

do what I do. format and install XP. smoke rocks while you wait for it to finish. then when it's done sell it for more rocks.

Out of curiosity, did you try the usual CHKDSK/Defrag yet? It's kind of unusual that it's slowing down during the bootup process. You may also want to check the activity log to see if a particular service or application is hanging during the bootup process.

Not yet, defrag is fine - ill check disk for errors.

Its still doing it but i just keep booting it!

How can I tell if something is hanging on boot?

The easiest way to tell if a process is hanging on boot is to check in the event viewer. You can find it under Administrative Tools in the control panel or you can search for "event viewer" in the Start Menu's search box. From there, you can expand the "Windows Logs" section and the two areas you will want to look at are the System log and the Applications log. You'll likely see a few errors listed here, but if you know when this started the best thing to do would be to look at any errors during that time and see if any series of errors started then. If something just appeared within that time window, that's likely your culprit.

Also, Vista has a very odd intermittent issue with some external hard drives and storage devices. Just for kicks, I would try to unplug any external hard drives, thumb drives or memory cards before you boot. Vista had this issue with my external hard drive and it added a 3-4 minute freeze to my startup time.

Edited by VT-Vincent

^ Nice.

I do have a flash card for my digital camara connected and that boots up about 7 diffrent drives - I bet that couldbe the problem.

If not will check in log entrys like you advised, thanks a lot man that was good stuff - will let you know how i get on.

do what I do. format and install XP. smoke rocks while you wait for it to finish. then when it's done sell it for more rocks.

A quality idea! You could try the new Windows 7 RTM release if you feel like a change. I would never have left XP for Vista but W7 is so much quicker and 'nicer'. Good luck with the rocks either way :huh:

If you use Windows 7 DO NOT attempt to install any of the activation cracks. There is a command (can't remember it off the top of my head but should be easy to find) that will reset your 30 day trial and you can use it 3 times I think, by then there should be a proper crack.

I called it on other sites and nooooo one wanted to believe me. The latest one was blacklisted (it relied on a lenovo key) and the rest of them seem like they only have a chance of working (reports go both ways) and they don't crack it properly anyway. They replace the activation files with the files from the beta which obviously isn't going to work out too long.

Only trust official scene releases, there is a reason it is taking the scene this long. You can be sure once they release something it will work. You might want to watch for nukes just in case though.