Interested in buying a new PS2

Now I'm interested in buying a new PS2, preferably unused, fat version, so I can stick a hard drive to it and get my games on it. I haven't kept up to date with the latest hard drive iso program so I'm kinda out of the loop and I'd like to know if it's still only workable with fat PS2s and not slim ones. I still have an old PS2 but the laser is almost dead and it's been soldered with a modchip, and lately I've been noticing ever-increasing delays and slowdowns, so I'd just like to buy a new one.

I know they're not being produced anymore, I'm hoping for a relatively unused one off ebay. It's because of where I live that ordering a laser would be relatively more expensive than ordering a relatively working one off ebay. Also the thing is that if I buy a hard drive I wouldn't really have to use a laser ever again, if I understand correctly.

The thing is I really would want a new one only because my old one has a very crappy solder job done to it and I wouldn't want it failing some time in the future for random reasons.

I have my old fat PS2 neatly tucked in its box. Said console has some issues with the laser, i.e. it takes a good while for it to boot PS2 DVDs, but after that, it works like a charm.

Where do you live? I would think a new KH-400C laser would cost you less than another PS2 that very well may have it's laser die just as soon.

You should also try lowering the resistance on the laser pot a touch to squeeze more life out of it for awhile.

pot tweaking is just a matter of turning a screw, it can't hurt to try in the short term. even if it doesn't work it's not like it's gonna explode.

finding a decent Fat PS2 this late in the game is damn near impossible. they all had the same bad lasers and spinning mechanisms that get lacquered over causing the disc to slip.

then again I thought I'd never see a new dreamcast again. but thinkgeek just had a bunch of them. so anything is possible I guess.

Do the slim PS2s not accept hard drives?

pot tweaking is just a matter of turning a screw, it can't hurt to try in the short term. even if it doesn't work it's not like it's gonna explode.

finding a decent Fat PS2 this late in the game is damn near impossible. they all had the same bad lasers and spinning mechanisms that get lacquered over causing the disc to slip.

then again I thought I'd never see a new dreamcast again. but thinkgeek just had a bunch of them. so anything is possible I guess.

Do the slim PS2s not accept hard drives?

Apparently some of the latest slim models have some crap done to them so you can't load Free MCBoot to boot your iso loader.

Memory Card boot has been fixed on slim-lines for ages though, unless you mean those Memory Card modchips they have out, which I haven't heard of in 4 years.