Wireless Networking

gavin19

I don't use wireless but I frequently get asked about setting up home networks with pc/laptops in various combinations. I'm a bit lost when it comes to wireless so I need some advice.

Basically my friend has a cable modem connected to his pc via an ethernet card. He wants to add a laptop into the mix, wirelessly. Can he connect the wireless router to his pc via his second ethernet port and share it, in the same way I share my internet connection with my 360? Or is there a way of 'injecting' the router in between the modem and the pc, or even prior to the modem itself?

3 possible scenarios as I can make out -

1. Modem > PC then share the connection with the router using ICS on XP.

2. Modem > Router > PC

3. Router > Modem > PC

Which is the best and/or most viable/user-friendly option? Thanks.

You plug the ethernet cable from the modem into the Upload port of the router and then you connect the PC to router with another ethernet cable. And then wireless is done by the antennae. If you buy a wireless router new or if it comes with all the packaging then it should come with a visual step by step guide that tells you exactly what you need to do

• 3 weeks later...

No, he can easily do what you asked. I do it myself so that my main PC has a totally direct connection to the internet.

Cable Modem PC1 PC2/PC3/Xbox/PS2 etc

I use Internet Connection Sharing, with port forwarding for specific things if need be.

It all depends on your needs though. I HATE routers and they interfere with much that I do, so the way I do things works well for me.