automated way to get rid of roms?

Inky

so I just got full goodsets of nes, snes, and genesis. but I want to get rid off all the non US games to just have the US sets. I also want to whittle out any non official games, sports, and kids games. is there any program that can do it or am I in for a long by hand process?

Use a tool like RomCenter with an up to date DAT for each system. It should be able to categorize your sets the way you want them to. Then just delete the folders you don't want.

NSRT does the same for SNES sets, without DATs, but I haven't tried this myself.

found the perfect (almost) solution to the problem and it also takes care of my 7zip issues. its called ungoodmerge. it will un7zip and sort out roms by region, hacks, all kinds of stuff. so if you ever end up with 3gigs of roms that you need to repack in zip format and get rid of all the extra versions and regions you don't want this is the program to do it. all I had to do by hand was delete all the sports, kids and movie games I didn't want. 3 gigs down to just over 800mb. that's manageable.

found the perfect (almost) solution to the problem and it also takes care of my 7zip issues. its called ungoodmerge. it will un7zip and sort out roms by region, hacks, all kinds of stuff. so if you ever end up with 3gigs of roms that you need to repack in zip format and get rid of all the extra versions and regions you don't want this is the program to do it. all I had to do by hand was delete all the sports, kids and movie games I didn't want. 3 gigs down to just over 800mb. that's manageable.

Good stuff. That's the one I was trying to remember. This kind of thing is much easier with Mame given that the games are categorized already. I think you can just use Listgen(?) which generates a list of roms that you want to keep, and then use a batch file to remove the unwanted ones.

Edited by gavin19

I just use the Goodinfo.cfg with the Goodtools.......they way it should be done. You can filter out anything you want. I only keep good and verified good US roms. Not hacks, translations, trainers etc etc.

The genre sorting is something that has to be done by hand, who wants to create a listing of games by genre to use with these tools.